Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Sekonic L-758D

cjvw 6 3 England
6 Mar 2014 8:04PM
I have a Sekonic L-758D light meter, can anybody tell me, when the meter is in aperture priority mode what is the number to the right of the set F-stop, I have read the instruction manual and it says it is indicating 1/10th shutter speed, I understand the F stop settings re the lens on the camera and the increments in between the F stops, what I don't understand about the sekonic L-758 light meter is that when set to aperture priority and I have set the aperture to the desired F stop setting to suite the depth of field I require, why is the meter giving me an adjustment of the aperture at all, why is not just giving me the correct shutter speed, The instruction manual for the sekonic says that the numeral to the right of the aperture value is one tenth of the shutter speed, and even this doesn't actually correlate to the meters selected shutter speed displayed on the left, Thanks again to anyone who can help me, I am fairly experienced with photography from back in the 35mm film days, it's just the Sekonic meter I have to come to grips with.
7 Mar 2014 7:15AM
You can change the 1/10 to 1/3 f-stop in the custom setting so it better reflects aperture values you set on your camera.
cjvw 6 3 England
7 Mar 2014 10:32AM
Thanks for your reply Stephen, On the L-758D In custom settings I have set to Half stop settings to suite my Mamiya sekor lenses, but i'm still not sure what to do regarding the numeral which is displayed to the right of the set aperture when taking a measurement in aperture priority with the L-758. thanks. Chris.
8 Mar 2014 10:07AM
I generally have mine in AV mode with 1/3 set and even though the main reading was showing the aperture values in 1/3 values I always thought the small number was showing the same i.e. 5.6[0] and 7.1[2] but now I'm not to sure. I have watched a few videos on the sekonic web site and they don't mention what it is even when it shows a reading like 5.6[2] it just gets ignore and they talk about the value purely as 5.6. I think it can be safely ignored, but I will try to find out what it means just to satisfy my own curiosity now!
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
8 Mar 2014 10:21AM
My Minolta Spotmeter gives similar readings to those described.

If I recall correctly, do not have the manual to hand just now, 5.6[2] meant an aperture of 5.6 plus 2 tenths.
If it was say, 5.6[7] then I used to set the aperture between 5.6 & 8.0
That is of course years ago with a film camera where the lens apertures were manually click stop set Wink
cjvw 6 3 England
8 Mar 2014 11:13AM
I am using Mamiya RZ67 which gives half stop clicks between lens f stops and half between shutter speeds, so when the light meter gives me a reading say of F 32.3 and i have set F 32 in aperture priority, I am going to adjust the shutter speed half a stop, and if the light meter gives me a reading say of F 32.8 I am going to adjust the shutter speed a full stop, what i really cant understand is why the light meter when set to aperture priority doesn't just give you the shutter speed with a partial stop, or even just an exposure compensation plus or minus, anyway thanks for all the replies, the proof of the pudding will be how the shots turn out, I actually bought the L-758D because of the spot metering capability with its viewing lens, for landscapes with tricky shadow areas. Chris
8 Mar 2014 5:24PM
I think I have this sorted. The small number is always showing 1/10 f stop regardles of wether the meter is set to display full, 1/2 or 1/3 of a stop increments. Now I have my meter set in 1/3 of a stop increments so if I have T 30 & A 7.1[1] its the same as if the meter was in full stops as T 30 & A 5.6[8] ie 8 tenths of a stop.
cjvw 6 3 England
11 Mar 2014 1:22PM
Hi everybody who has followed this thread, I contacted Sekonic and they kindly emailed me back with the following explanation, Explanation of 1/10th numeral on Sekonic L-758

Thank you for your inquiry.
I am Minoru Oda(Mr) from Sales Operation Sec.
of light meter in Sekonic Corporation in Japan.

As you already know, the numeral to the right of the aperture value in aperture priority mode is one tenth of the shutter speed.
If you would like to set this shutter speed into camera, it is better to set closer shutter speed including one tenth of the shutter speed.
For example, When L-758D is set full step of increments of shutter speed, if the desired F stop is 5.6, and T is indicated as 1/60s, and one tenth of the shutter speed is indicated as 9, it is better to choose 1/125s for suitable shutter speed. Please set f: 5.6 and t:1/125s into your camera.
Because "5 to 9" of one tenth of the shutter speed is closer to next step of shutter speed than this step of shutter speed.
Of course, if the desired F stop is 5.6, and T is indicated as 1/60s, and one tenth of the shutter speed is indicated as "0 to 4", it is better to choose 1/60s for suitable shutter speed. Please set f: 5.6 and t:1/60s into your camera.

It was easy to understand it, if one tenth of the shutter speed had been in the right of the shutter speed on the LCD display.
We would apologize for difficulty of your understanding because of restriction of LCD design.

Does it answer your question?
If you have any question, please kindly let us know.

Sincerely yours

Minoru Oda
Sales Operation Sec.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.