Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Selling Lenses to Mifsuds, LCE, etc.

Paintman Plus
11 1.2k 177 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2017 8:51PM
Has anyone sold their lenses or photo equipment to Mifsuds, LCE, etc? Did you get a good price for it or is it best to sell on ebay?

I ask because I want to sell my Canon 600mm f4 L IS, which is in near perfect condition, with both keys, polycarbonate hard case and lens coat. I don't want to have to post the lens so dealing direct with the above companies is my prefered option, unless the deal isn't worth it.

Thank you for any comments.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
16 Jul 2017 9:03PM
I've sold lots of stuff through MPB and found their prices very good. Not as much as you might get from eBay, obviously, but fair and a lot less trouble.

LCE are also very good. You may get less money though. Highly recommended as traders.
ade123 Plus
5 280 1 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2017 9:03PM
I have used MBP on a couple of occasions to sell lenses and they have given me a good price each time and it's a really easy process with them too.
I personally wouldn't go through eBay because of fees etc
I've not used any other service so can't comment but thoroughly recommend MBP and you don't have to accept their quotation so you are under no obligation so you can shop around the others for the best quote

Hope this is of some help

Ade
LenShepherd 9 3.5k United Kingdom
16 Jul 2017 9:24PM
Selling on commission via Ffordes, MPB etc usually brings a better price because there is less VAT for the dealer to pay. Selling this way it can average around a month before you get paid.
Part exchange is "instant".
If you are not part exchanging a commission sale usually gets you a better price.
I suggest you check commission sale prices at Fords, MPB etc to see what you might get after commission. Ffordes etc give typically 6 months warranty on commission sales and accept credit cards. This enables them to generally get higher prices than selling private.
Commission sale prices less 20% give you an idea of what your gear is worth.
Most commission sellers and part exchange retailers will give you an indication of a price subject to inspection.
Ffordes will collect by courier for 15. I believe MPB collect for free on larger items. You still have to pack the items and be in when the courier is likely to call.
Misfits sell a lot of big lenses new and second hand. LCE seem to sell fewer so you might not do such a good deal.
There are quite a few charges selling on e-bay - and some buyers have a reputation for saying the item was not as described. You should ideally take photos before shipping.
ephotozine has a private sales facility for almost free but few seem to buy high value items this way.
Your lens is likely worth a few thousand pounds so it is worth you doing some homework to get a good deal.
cuffit Plus
11 308 5 England
16 Jul 2017 9:26PM
To add to that already offered. Some months back I sold 2 cameras and two lenses to MPB whom, I thought, gave me very fair prices - quite a way in excess of Camera Jungle (CJ). Both sites were easy to use and once the kit is described using their guides, the quotes (subject to a check of the items on receipt by the company) arrived very quickly. While I thought the MPB prices were better, my friend recommended CJ for their prices, so it may come down to what you are selling and how much of that they may already have in stock or think they can sell.

I have used Ebay and the site no doubt sells loads of kit; however, when looking at the lists of similar items, the prices were for the most part a little better - but there was only one bid among them. Selling to MBP may have lost me a few pounds but the whole process was pain free and you don't have to accept the quote as has been mentioned. Also, I packed all the gear (like many I keep all the boxes cables and batteries etc although boxes not a necessity) and a courier collects free - seamless and the payment was prompt.

Ebay may well be as good, of not better, if you can get your price. I felt more comfortable dealing with the company who remained in contact throughout. Hope this helps.

Chris
Paintman Plus
16 Jul 2017 10:11PM
Ffordes and MBP sound good options I hadn't thought of.

It seems with ebay in the last few years that the seller has less protection and there are more ways to scam the seller so they lose their property. Their fees are also increasing all the time so it's less attractive selling with them.

meyeview 8 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2017 9:46AM
i have, recently, used MPB and have no complaints. they paid me more than the quote after examining the goods. very good experience.
17 Jul 2017 12:12PM
Buying from Fleabay is a lot safer than selling.

I've had a few issues where the buyer has claimed that the goods were faulty. When the goods have been sent abroad, it's usually cheaper to negotiate a partial refund but for "home" buyers I ask for the goods to be returned. Last time this happened, only a couple of weeks back, the buyer decided "to keep the item after all" when he was invited to return it.

When doing the Fleabay listing, it's essential to include at least one pic that clearly shows the serial number of the item and include views from all directions. Never use generic pictures.

One friend used the stock pix when selling a pro-zoom lens that was virtually mint. The buyer claimed a return/refund but a very different lens came back: same type but dog rough rather than near-mint.
Nigeyboy 9 823 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2017 1:38PM
Don't forget, LCE has branches all over the country, so you could always take the lens to your local branch and see what they say - saves couriers anyway!
icphoto Plus
16 2.4k England
17 Jul 2017 5:22PM
I personally would contact MPB. From experience they offer far more than anyone else, are very easy to deal with, with fast BACS payment.
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
17 Jul 2017 6:57PM
Yes, and great customer service.
Paintman Plus
17 Jul 2017 8:31PM
I have contacted MBP and I'm weighing up their offer. I'll contact a few others mentioned in the posts above.

Thanks for your helpSmile
adrian_w Plus
10 3.7k 4 England
18 Jul 2017 11:26AM
Also try WEX in Norwich. I part exchanged my canon 5D with them for an Olympus EM1 & got a good price.
User_Removed 2 1.0k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2017 3:15PM
why not ebay ???
peterjones 15 4.7k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2017 4:10PM
I use Ffordes to sell my gear; I wouldn't touch Ebay with a barge pole to sell my photographic gear, there are far too many issues with buyers, scams and so on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.