Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ticket discount with EZPTPS18 for The Photography Show 2018

Selling Lenses to Mifsuds, LCE, etc.

We just have to be carful when selling on Fleabay. There are standard scams, like claiming a return & refund then sending back a poorer copy than was dispatched or the "withdrawn highest bid" scam.

It pays to check them out on-line before selling.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat Plus
13 19.0k 3 Canada
20 Jul 2017 7:33AM
I never accept returns; that is specified in my ebay listings. Just another potential problem eliminated.
20 Jul 2017 8:14AM

Quote:I never accept returns; that is specified in my ebay listings. Just another potential problem eliminated.

This highlights a major difference between between buying from a private seller and a legitimate business.
The approach you take is legally unacceptable for trading operations under the Consumer Protection Act 2015.
Under the legislation the goods have to be fit for purpose, of merchantable quality etc even if second hand and if they breakdown within 6 months the buyer is normally entitled to loan equipment while being repaired.
I do not know what the approximate value of the second hand lens that started the thread is, but speculate somewhat in excess of 2,500. I would not part with a large amount of money on a "no returns" basis.
20 Jul 2017 10:31AM

Quote:I never accept returns; that is specified in my ebay listings. Just another potential problem eliminated.

It makes no difference what we stipulate as sellers. If they use Paypal and they claim there's something wrong with the product, they'll get a refund.

This happened to me when a purchased lens had fungus that wasn't declared in the listing and wasn't visible in the pix. The seller said "tough" but Paypal gave me a full refund and would have done until 6 months after the hammer fell.
Paintman Plus
11 1.2k 177 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2017 8:24PM
I think Ffordes' offer, to me, appears to be the best and was closer to what I think the lens is worth.
21 Aug 2017 10:25PM
In the past I've dealt with both Mifsuds and MPB, in my opinion they are both very professional and a pleasure to deal with. Selling private probably gets you a higher selling price but the potential for hassle increases greatly in my opinion.
Good luck.
andy63 Plus
12 33 England
29 Aug 2017 5:48PM
Reviving a slightly old thread but I have used LCE and WEX for both sale and purchase and both are great. If you Ebay, you may get more but don't forget their fee's and Paypal fee's.
However, I'm looking for a 600mm f4 Canon lens, have you sold this one yet? Any photo's etc and what is the date code please.
Paintman Plus
29 Aug 2017 10:12PM
Hi andy63, I haven't sold the 600 f4 L IS lens yet. I'll try and sort out some information on the date code and photos so you have an idea of the condition of the lens.

The lens will come with its polycarbonate case and key, a camouflage Lens Coat, lens hood and leather lens boot ( a big lens cap, in effect ) and the lens.

It's in excellent condition with virtually no paint chips, perhaps only where the lens hood attaches to the lens and the tripod foot. This I'll have to check though. The glass is perfect.

It may take a couple of days for me to get this info up together as I'm very busy atm.

Thanks for your interest.

Alan.
andy63 Plus
12 33 England
30 Aug 2017 11:59AM
Cheers Alan.
779HOB Plus
6 1.2k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2017 1:04PM
I've just sold a lens to WEX - they gave me the best price from the others I had quotes from. I think they paid about 600 more.
andy63 Plus
12 33 England
30 Aug 2017 2:31PM
I have sold to both WEX and LCE. However, the last few lens I have sold were to LCE, I took along the quote from WEX which LCE proceeded to better, and it's nice to go into store and talk with them and barter over the new lens!
andy63 Plus
12 33 England
4 Sep 2017 5:41PM
Hi Alan, you had chance to get any details/photo's together?
Paintman Plus
9 Sep 2017 12:02PM
Hi Andy,

sorry about the delay, I've just come back from holiday. I'll get some photos of the 600mm posted this weekend for you.

Alan.
Paintman Plus
10 Sep 2017 11:22AM
This is a link to a photo taken with my Canon 600mm f4 L IS lens. I've added version photos of the lens, etc., so its condition and date can be acertained. This lens is for sale so reasonable offers accepted.

19 versions showing my Canon 600mm f4 L IS lens, polycarbonate case, Lens Coat and Lowepro AW 600 mkii lens case.

The photos are straight out of camera jpg's using a Panasonic micro 4/3rds with no post processing.
andy63 Plus
12 33 England
12 Sep 2017 5:15PM
Thanks Alan, I'll pm you at some point to continue our conversation.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.