WEX Deals: Use code 10CAN to save 10% on select Canon lenses

Selling photographs as cards and copyright

Rach1970 11 14 1 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 10:52AM
Would love to start selling some of my photos as greetings cards, postcards etc. 2 main focuses:
1) General photos of flowers etc that I have taken in the last few years.
2) I have some recent photos of my local area (Bournville in Birmingham - home of Cadburys) and also have old (but in very good condition) 1950/60s b&w photos and colour slides of the area too.
There are a couple of local 'touristy' outlets that I'm sure would be interested but I don't know really where to begin. Do I make up my own cards attaching prints or do I get them printed out as cards? I think the first is the cheaper option. And with the old photos/slides do I find someone with an excellent scanner and a machine that will turn the slides into jpeg files?
Also, where do I start on copyright? All the photos belong to me but how do I stop others reproducing them?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Aug 2012 11:23AM

Quote:All the photos belong to me but how do I stop others reproducing them

Steal thier computers and or burn thier scanners....Smile

Sorry, Just could not resist a little humour, Seriously though, Copyright protection these days is almost impossible, Even if you do locate a naughty use of your stuff, You could face a big legal fee, Just to scare them off.

My tips would be, Make any or all upoaded samples as small as possible, Lets say a max of 500 pixels, But also include a decent watermark across the diagonal dimension.

Heck! It will not stop them entirely, But by the time they have removed your watermark, The data left is almost worthless, Unless your a stamp collector or sumfin....!!!

HTH....Wink

Good luck with the selling thing, Todays market dictates lots of work for little return, Unless your very lucky....Sad
thewilliam 11 6.1k
24 Aug 2012 11:39AM
Unfortunately, we do live in a world where the crooks can steal with impunity and many of our politicians lead the way.

You do need to distinguish between owning a picture and owning its copyright. If you took the vintage pictures or if you're the heir to the person who took them, then the copyright is yours.

If you don't know who took the pictures, then the copyright won't be yours unless you have a written assignment.

Most photolabs will do excellent scans but remember that you get what you pay for.
24 Aug 2012 11:55AM
Thanks both. Your comments are much appreciated. Love your humour Vince Smile With the copyright thing I was more concerned that once I'm selling the cards with photos on anyone could then go and scan them for themselves. I know it's a difficult one. I am the heir to the person who originally took the photos yes, so that clears up who owns the copyright on them, thanks William Smile
Techno Plus
11 5.0k 8 England
24 Aug 2012 12:43PM
Hi Rachel,
I have a good quality scanner you can use if you want digitise your slides, I live only a short drive from you Barnt Green to be precise, just pm me if you want to borrow it.
Mal
25 Aug 2012 9:27AM
Thanks so much Mal, that's really kind of you. I do actually have a friend who's dad owns a very smart scanner, and luckily for me he lives just down the road. But I'll certainly keep you in mind for the future. Thanks again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.