Sensor Clean Issue

bentspace 17 31
28 Sep 2004 4:58AM
The specks and dust is getting worse with my D-70, and it needs a good professional clean, but I cant afford the servicing ($250NZ). I have read heaps about the issue of cleaning your sensor on the net, but so many people say so many different things that I am confused.
Should I try and clean it myself? I have sensor swabs and lint free cloth but I am scared of screwing it up...
geoffash26 17 2.5k United Kingdom
28 Sep 2004 6:43AM
I ve cleaned my 300d 4/5 times without problems following what is said on this website link
Geoff
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2004 7:10AM
That is a good site, but a little over the top in my oppinion

Go to http://www.warehouseexpress.com , and go to the Digital section, then look for 'Digi pad'. Not too expensive, and fairly easy.

Mattw
28 Sep 2004 7:45AM
I think the manufacturers try and scare you into thinking that they should do the cleaning rather than you. They do that because its easy money for about 5 minutes work.

I used to have my 10D sensor cleaned professionally (at 35 quid a pop), but I now do it myself with Sensor Swab which I got from Crown Photo Systems (www.crown-digital.co.uk). I've had no problems and I've always got a nice clean sensor!
atelier44 17 49 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2004 8:29AM
I've yet to clean my Nikon D100's CCD.

Why?

To lock the mirror up I need to purchase a mains adaptor (EH-5) which costs 74.99 !!!!!

I am going to need some serious dust to part with 75 for a mains charger worth about a fiver. Does anybody have any alternative methods ?
blindpilot 17 69
28 Sep 2004 11:12AM
i used a brush from visible dust to clean mine - worked very nicely

it's easy, you just have to be careful, and read your camera instructions, most have a cleaning mode that can be triggereed to avoid the mirror coming down on whatever you choose to clean with

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.