Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Sensor cleaning

30 Dec 2015 7:22PM
My Canon 6d has now been twice for professional cleaning and hasn't come back any cleaner, probably worse if anything, (the shop doesn't see any problem), I now have to remove over 50 dust spots on images with a lot of sky mainly from the two top corners for some reason. I have just given it a go myself but the they stubbornly remain. I'm going to try another well known place for cleaning later this week but wondered if anyone here has had similar problems or any advice they could give me.
Jat_Riski 13 89 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2015 7:51PM
Try different lenses first if spots are on the same place then it's sensor otherwise it could be lens.
30 Dec 2015 7:58PM
Already tried a different lens but still the same and have done all the white paper tests etc, is it possible the sensor could have been damaged with cleaning solution as all the 'dust' spots look like they have a halo around them when enlarged on the monitor.
RayBeck 16 43 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2015 8:07PM
I had a camera where the sensor became pitted and there was nothing the company I use to clean mine could do about it unless I wanted the sensor replaced. I actually couldn't see the spots on images so it wasn't a problem but I mention it just in case this is what is causing you issue. Incidentally I am very careful with my cameras so not sure how it got pitted but it was a mirrorless camera so more susceptible I think.
30 Dec 2015 8:10PM
It's adding up on costs getting it cleaned but it's even more frustrating having to spend ages removing the spotsSad
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
30 Dec 2015 8:54PM
Personally I wouldn't waste money on someone cleaning your sensor for you, even more so when they're doing a lousy job. It really isn't difficult and there's no reason why you won't get far superior results by doing it yourself. Have a look around on the internet for sensor cleaning methods and choose whichever one you're happy with. If you have very stubborn dust spots then it sounds like a wet clean is a good option, so look into that method.
If the spots are on the top of your image, then it means they're on the bottom of the sensor.
It's unlikely your camera is damaged, just very dirty.

HERE and HERE
30 Dec 2015 8:59PM
Have tried the blowers and a dry clean, a bit scared of using the wet clean in case I get the wrong stuff but will check it out on the internet, thanks for the feedback
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2015 9:51PM
I regularly wet clean mine, and use the copper hill method with pec pads and eclipse

To ascertain how big the problem is, I simply focus on the trees out the in back garden in aperture mode set to its smallest setting usually F 32 up your ISO a bit to get a decent shutter speed and then reframe on either a cloudy or clear sky, take two consecutive shots and view on the computer, if you have dust bunnies they will be in the same position on each shot whereas birds insects and dust in the air will move between the frames

Then I take a blower to the sensor whilst in cleaning mode and give it a couple of hard puffs with the camera facing downwards, then take two more shots

Usually I get more crap on the sensor, but at least the mirror box is cleaner and there is less to settle on the sensor once cleaning is completed, I then wet clean and repeat the shooting, it can take several goes to get the sensor clean, and I shoot and recheck on each occasion to see how we are doing, as well as using fresh pec pads each time

Grease will only come off with a wet clean, and if you use too much cleaning fluid, and don't leave it for a minute or two, it will leave a lot of smears, so read the instructions and repeat the cleaning
30 Dec 2015 9:57PM
Have decided to give it a go myself with the wet clean on an old camera first, so will invest in some cleaning fluid and swabs tomorrowGrin
30 Dec 2015 10:57PM
If you want to save a few quid. Don't bother with the overpriced cleaning swabs and small packs of pec pads. A perfectly suitable cleaning tool can be made from a small plastic icing spatula. Any good kitchen supplies shop will stock them. A cheaper place is Wilkinsons, they used to do a pack of five assorted sizes for about 1.
Pec pads work out most economical in a pack of 100. They're extremely useful for all manner of cleaning tasks, sensor, lenses, filters, camera LCD screens, glasses, sunglasses, etc. etc. so it's handy to have a decent sized pack of them. Eclipse fluid is also good for many cleaning tasks and lasts a long, long time. Be sure to only use a small amount when sensor cleaning, two drops should suffice.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
31 Dec 2015 10:40AM
If you want to DIY good luck, it is easy to advise "others" to do it to their gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shops are insured against damaging your gear.

Try a different shop, London Camera Exchange for example or get a PROPER cleaning kit
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
31 Dec 2015 10:45AM
Sadly JR will not see this but the sensor in your camera is much tougher than you think. Before the advent of cleaning kits and spinning brushes, we cleaned them with Q tips and lighter fluid.

The trick is very small amounts of whatever cleaning fluid you choose and move the cleaning pad across the sensor in one clean sweep. Don't dab and faff about.

And for gawds sake have a fully charged battery. Wink
31 Dec 2015 11:23AM

Quote:If you want to DIY good luck, it is easy to advise "others" to do it to their gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the advice given is based on personal experience of cleaning my own cameras over the last fifteen years. A little common sense is all that's needed. It's not rocket science Smile
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
31 Dec 2015 1:27PM
You're doing it blind, you're taking photos at narrow apertures to see if you (or the company) have been successful. You need to be able to see for yourself before you take a photo. Get one of these it will make a world of difference and will give you the confidence and the ability to do a good job. Smile
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2015 5:12PM

Quote:If you want to DIY good luck, it is easy to advise "others" to do it to their gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shops are insured against damaging your gear.

Try a different shop, London Camera Exchange for example or get a PROPER cleaning kit

I'd done it myself for years without any problems and I don't think that anybody has advised doing it yourself if they haven't!

Changing the subject slightly, I've never had to clean the sensor on any of my 4/3rds cameras and I've been using one regularly since 2013.

Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.