Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Sensor dust on Sony A7 and A7ii

Angi_Wallace 13 310 11 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2019 3:52PM

Quote:I am ignoring the worry that I am going to make a complete ass of myself but - are you sure that what you are seeing is dust and not noise? I have always used Sony cameras and have found them to be rather prone to noise. It might be worth trying a really good noise reduction programme to see if this works. Personally I use Topaz DeNoise but I am sure there are others. In fact if you popped an image on here I think there will be some folk who could give you much better advice when an image has been examined.Tongue

Its definately not noise - I shoot mostly between iso 50 and 100 Smile. I find both the A7 and A7ii both handle noise incredibly well - particularly when Im shooting gigs.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2019 4:15PM
Can anybody confirm that a sensor when "on" is charged and prone to attracting dust - perhaps via a static charge?

The sensor has to be on to see anything through the viewfinder or on the rear monitor on an ML body.
Unless using Live View the sensor on a DSLR is only on for 1/125 of a second or whatever the shutter speed is.

If a sensor is electronically prone to attracting dust when on it would help explain why many have relatively few problems with a DSLR, and many more with "always on" ML.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 2:23AM
I remember as a kid seeing dust flying towards the TV screen when the power was toggled on or off. Rubbing my hand over it and hearing the static crackle, feeling small fuzzy shocks on my hands.

It seems that mirrorless should attract more dust (so should DSLRs that are used to shoot a lot of video). Yet I've shot video with DSLR and sometimes used DSLR Live View for stills.

As for mirrorless I have shot thousands of stills with and hours of video. Yet I don't find dust more of a problem, it seems to be the same amount of dust that I remember from my first DSLR (300D / Digital Rebel)

Which means if I shoot skies or macro I will see evidence of dust in the image, I clone it out and if it becomes too annoying I blow it out. I have never found a case where I can't see it or have been unable to get rid of it. There have sometimes been stubborn spots that required a wet clean - but who hasn't had those? They are just harder to get rid of but with care you can and will.

My Sonys are no worse than any of my Canons were.

Angi if the loupe shows no dirt then are you able to take a macro image of your sensor using another body?

If your sensor isn't dirty then you should not be able to see dirt on your images - I know that sounds obvious but you seem to have ruled everything out? What else do you think it might be?

You need a loupe with at least 5 x magnification, and it needs to have lights, this loupe would suffice and can be powered by USB so you can take your time instead of worrying about the batteries running out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.