GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Sensor dust vacuums

ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
5 Feb 2015 10:07AM
Had an Arctic butterfly and swabs for years and they're usually fine.

I seem to have a bigger issue which they don't solve... I can get the sensor spotless, only to get big twig-like blobs on my sensor a few shots later...

18097_1423130477.jpg

Here you go - imagine you've cleaned the sensor before the shoot, only to see this on your shots... I'd not changed lenses.... it's not good

Obviously there is crap in the mirror chamber or in that general area.

So my question...

Does anyone have a recommendation of a product which can safely clean out the chamber - the static brush ans swab is great for cleaning th actual sensor, but it's the "other stuff" which I need to suck out somehow

Soul destroying cloning that stuff out...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 10:24AM
Maybe you need to take to the experts to sort it out?
PhilScot Plus
13 821 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 10:38AM
What I do is clamp my vacuum cleaner nozzle to my desk. Then switch it on and hold your camera body a few inches away and use your rocket blower in the usual way.
When the dust becomes airborne the vacuum cleaner will catch it all.
It works for me.
ikett 9 545 England
5 Feb 2015 10:52AM
Could it be oil spatter from the shutter?
I had a similar issue with a 1D MK3, I only found out by taking it to Lehmanns in desperation.
LesF 13 182 9
5 Feb 2015 11:23AM
As"ikett" mentions I would agree this looks very much like oil splatter Ade, sorting it I'm not sure of how
EddieAC 14 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 12:00PM
I would agree with the oil spatter suggestion. I have had this on my D7000.
5 Feb 2015 12:07PM
I've not explained it well have I

Does this explain it better

I clean the sensor before a shoot - its spotless... no dust - i test it

then after X shots, its got lots of dust (X can be between 3 and 50)

so I clean it - its spotless again - I test it to verify

then after X shots, it is again covered in dust.

I know it's not oil or moisture because there is no smudging when I use the arctic butterfly

it's dust "within the camera body" which is easily cleared with traditional methods, but returns very quickly. It kinda implies that when I clean it, the dust is being "moved" rather than "removed"

Therefore the dust is free to "move" from where I moved it to, back to the sensor.

ikett 9 545 England
5 Feb 2015 12:40PM
Sounds like something is wearing in the shutter/mirror box make a quick phone call to Lehmanns, they are very helpful and will have come across the problem before and will offer advice.

There phone number 01782 413611 website
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 12:52PM
Could the artic butterfly its self be breaking up - those fine fibres collecting in the shutter box then falling off as its static dissipates and the mirror blows them around?

I've also heard a few people saying vacuum cleaners work for the mirror box, some with a small tube attached to the main hose.

Also Ade shoots canon and i've only heard of oil spots on Nikon - doubt its anything wet.
MikeA 14 1.3k England
5 Feb 2015 2:58PM
Could the source be the lens chamber?
tpfkapm 8 266 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 4:08PM
with size of those marks can you see anything on the sensor?

if so the oil/dried on goo is probably the cause- needs wet cleaning
fairly easy but takes a few passes
otherwise- get a camera shop to do it
tpfkapm 8 266 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2015 4:11PM
ah just read clears at first.

is it from a disintegrating shutter assembley component - could be bits of the damping mechanism etc falling off,

may need a service
5 Feb 2015 4:20PM
yeah - looking like a service... or just get a new camera and use the old one as backup

I'll try that hoover and blower trick though... and only ever shoot at F2.8 Wink
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
6 Feb 2015 7:25PM
I gave up on Rocket blowers ages ago as all they ever seemed to do was to blow the dust around without actually ever removing any of it.

In it's place, I now have a small that I got from the Pound Shop which I use to extract dust from within my cameras.

Seems to work too, despite the crappy reviews on Amazon.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
6 Feb 2015 7:28PM
That should read "small Usb powered vacuum cleaner, that I got from the Pound Shop."

It would appear that the ability to insert links or edit/correct my posts has gone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.