Get 70% Off Franzis Cutout 8 Pro Background Editor Software

Sensor starting to fail?

p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 4:39AM
I've had my 300D for nearly 2 years now. Not hammered at all - just over 6000 images. After returning from our last holiday I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the pics - especially the watersports images which I know from past experience usually come out spot-on. Started to look closer at all the images and they all look a bit off. Focus and exposure slightly out and a little noisy.
Since then I've tested with different lenses, both close-up and distant shots, different ISO, different apperture, AF/MF and still getting the same problem.
Sensor looks as clean as a whistle.
Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be sensor related? has anyone had to have a sensor replaced? If so what cost?
I know the only way to find out is to get it back to Canon but thought I'd ask anyway.
Funnily enough I was just contemplating upgrading to a 20D. This may force my hand!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Burgy_Tog 16 634 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 4:50AM
Doubt that it is the sensor, if it is AF and Exposure as they are not controlled by the Sensor, but by other circuits, I would also imagine that sensors will fail catastrophically rather than wear out.
ahollowa 16 1.1k England
17 Oct 2005 4:55AM
It's Canons new upgrade circuitry coming in to play. They release upgrades every 18 months if you haven't upgraded with 6 month of this then the upgrade circuit switches on and slowly degrades the image quality until you think oh time to upgrade Smile)

Sorry couldn't resist hope it's nothing too catestrophic

Al.
wotashot 16 2.2k
17 Oct 2005 4:56AM
Might be worth giving a service center a bell and asking what they advise,

Jamie
p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 5:02AM
Probably right, Paul. The problem seems to be all over the image.
LOL Al, it must have heard me talking about the 20D!!
Going to do just that, Jamie, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.