Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Sepia toning

mcfotouk 18 1 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2001 9:50PM
I am a new user to photoshop and would like to know if its possible to tone black & white pix to sepia or any other tone. I have done it from colour negs. but not from mono? HELP please!!
Loking forward to an answer, thanks.
John L.McFarlane

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Will 18 1.8k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2001 9:36AM
Hi John
There are several ways of adding sepia tone to black and white pictures. The first, which you should be able to do in any version of photoshop is as follows:

Go to the image menu, then adjust, select Hue/Saturation. This will bring up a selection of slider bars and a tick box with 'colorize' next to it, which you should tick. Then your image will probably go a bright red, fear not! Reduce the saturation level slider bar to about 10 and then adjust the hue bar to your desired colour.

Another method which you may prefer is to go to image/adjust/duotone, where you can acheive the same result. I don't have the feature in my feature reduced Photoshop LE version however.

Hope this helps, Will.
davro 19 2
2 Nov 2001 11:48AM
Hi John
If you are working on a B&W image make sure you convert it to RGB. Then call up Hue/Saturation palette 'tick' the Colorize box. At first this may turn our image some strange colour, but using the Hue slider you can adjust the tone by moving it to around 25. The Saturation slider can also be adjusted around 27 gives a good sepia tone. But try experimenting with these values. Hope this helps... David www.davrodigital.co.uk

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.