Serena Williams meltdown in the 2018 US Open Final

rhody 15 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2018 4:13PM
I am truly appalled at the language and attitude of Williams in the US Open Final. Her shocking behaviour and attitude to the umpire ruined the final and spoilt the win for Osaka.
I have never seen such appalling behaviour and the BBC 5 Live commentators were just as bad as they joined in calling the umpire's judgement into question.
Williams' coach later admitted he had been coaching her.
I loathe the kangaroo court of social media for its hypocrisy in rallying to the hollow call of Williams saying she did it for "Women everywhere".
Williams is not bigger than the sport and her language and threats to the umpire were unforgivable.
She was defeated by a younger, better player on the day. Full credit to Osaka for behaving professionally - she fully deserved the win.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 14 13.0k United Kingdom
10 Sep 2018 4:22PM
Bring in yellow & red cards as in Soccer! From what I saw on TV she deserved a straight red.Grin
10 Sep 2018 4:33PM

Quote:Bring in yellow & red cards as in Soccer! From what I saw on TV she deserved a straight red.Grin

Totally agree. She got caught cheating. Smashed her racquet in anger. Called the umpire a liar and a thief. Was shouting and pointing her finger in the umpires face. Told the umpire he would never be an umpire on "her court" ever again. She shouted at, was pointing her finger at and was threatening the umpire for his decision. She also demanded an apology from the umpire for daring to penalize her.
Played the "poor me" card. Played the "sexist" attitude card. Ruined the final for everyone.
It was the most embarrassing and awful award ceremony I have ever seen. Osaka cried throughout - her phenomenal and well deserved victory ruined by the arrogant and petulant Williams.
Williams was fined 1% of her winnings for such disgraceful behaviour.
Her coach admitted he was giving signals from his seat to Williams. The umpire applied the rules correctly.
Williams is a disgrace to the sport and women's tennis around the world.
dcash29 12 2.3k England
10 Sep 2018 5:59PM

Quote:Bring in yellow & red cards as in Soccer! From what I saw on TV she deserved a straight red.Grin

Oh right have you lip read the language and treatment a soccer referee is subjected too?

In my opinion all referees are between a rock and a hard place as behind the scenes I'm sure if they make the players life hard, they will be out.

Don't need cards, two warnings and you're off... simple.

Serena needs to retire from the game if she cant control her behaviour.
Ross_D 4 769 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2018 6:10PM
Serena Williams has previous form in verbal abuse.
In 2011 she was beaten by Australia's Sam Stosur (who won her first Grand Slam title) . Williams verbally abused the FEMALE umpire saying 'you're out of control" and "You're a hater, and you're just unattractive inside." There are other examples.

Williams' claim that she was 'standing up for women ' is laughable.
10 Sep 2018 6:15PM
Interesting that Williams demands apologies from others but never gives any herself.
altitude50 14 13.0k United Kingdom
10 Sep 2018 6:36PM
The idea behind yellow & red cards was solely to make it clear to everybody that a caution had been given!
10 Sep 2018 6:40PM
2009 US Open

"Having been given a racket abuse warning after losing the first set of her semi-final against Clijsters, Williams was called for a foot fault on a second serve trailing 5-6 and 15-30 in the second set, thus giving her opponent a match point.

Williams reacted angrily towards the line judge who had made the call, swearing and threatening to shove a tennis ball down her throat. She received a point penalty and therefore lost the match. She was fined a record 82,500 dollars (51,000) and put on a two-year probation."

She is clearly not a player to be admired or respected in some areas.
KarenFB Plus
12 5.1k 171 England
10 Sep 2018 7:15PM
Do you know what is really funny? She is in a certain mattress advert !! Lol, very apt make it is too!! Grin
10 Sep 2018 7:33PM

Quote:Do you know what is really funny? She is in a certain mattress advert !! Lol, very apt make it is too!! Grin

I wonder if Serena understands irony? Great link thank you
arhb Plus
11 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2018 9:03PM
Is this the same Serena Williams who refused a dope test earlier this year?
Or was that her sister?
dcash29 12 2.3k England
10 Sep 2018 9:38PM

Quote:The idea behind yellow & red cards was solely to make it clear to everybody that a caution had been given!

I appreciate your thought, however why change any rule for bad behaviour. I'd have disqualified her there and then from the tournament.

At the end of the day you respect the referees decision. If you don't, leave the sport or suffer the consequences.
10 Sep 2018 10:42PM
Williams played the angry card. She played the "I'm not a cheat" card. She played the outraged card. She played the "You're a liar" card. She played the "You're a thief" card. She played the sexist card. She played the "poor me" card. She played the "I'm standing up for women everywhere card". She played the "I demand an apology card". She played the "I demand a second opinion" card. She threatened the umpire with shouting and finger pointing. She did her utmost to make the umpire change his mind.

The only card she didn't play was the "I can beat Osaka fairly" one. She lost to a much younger and fitter opponent who played better on the day.
Osaka deserved her moment of fame instead of being booed by the crowd and made to feel awful.
Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2018 8:47AM
What disgusting behaviour. The fine was completely pointless. Should have disqualified her so she had no winnings.
Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2018 8:49AM
I see the head of the WTA supports her, saying ""The WTA believes that there should be no difference in the standards of tolerance provided to the emotions expressed by men versus women"

Agreed. Men should also be held to account for this kind of behaviour. But that doesn't make it acceptable in this case. Stupid man.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.