Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Setting up personal website

dontforgetme 16 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2005 11:49AM
Whats the easiest (read cheap) way to set up my own web site to show off my pictures with options for punters to buy them etc?

I reckon there must be loads of folks doing this sort of thing.

Regards
Jules
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
14 Jan 2005 11:54AM
How about:

Obtain a reasonable domain name (about 10 for 2 years), build the site (using stuff like Frontpage, Netscape Composer, etc.), upload to you Personal Web Space provided my your ISP (using a FTP utility). As for purchase options, punters could always send you an email with their request.
Anthony 19 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2005 11:54AM
There are lots of option, and some will better than others. I use Moonfruit.com, and its cheap (affordable) and easy to use, and looks quite good. See my website for the older version, and I can post a link to a works website that used the newer version.

My Website

Works Website

Easily.co.uk do website names from about 9.99 for 2 years.

See what you think.

Anthony
elikag 16 749
14 Jan 2005 12:49PM
Love the idea of flash - harder to steal the photos.....

Just a thought.

Ilia Kagan.
klewis 16 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2005 12:59PM
If you obtain your own domain and some webspace you can use a program called Gallery. This allows you to upload to the webspace by http or java, caption them and arrange them in albums.

My site runs this software and to date I have been very pleased with the versatility of it and the support from the developers.
zippie 16 1.3k England
14 Jan 2005 1:14PM
You may want to have a look at unitedfolio.com

I am in the process of creating a website through them, you get 30 days demo in which to build your website, and it is live (but with your user name as domain until paid for site), there is built in copyright protection(i know this can be got around, but not everyone knows how !!)

You can create your own site banner, insert html codes into it, if you know how....

And included in the price, is your own domain name, .com, .co.uk etc, it also includes your own emails...

This is what I have done so far.....

(and no, I don't work for them.....LOL)....also any feedback on the website would be good to.

Hope this helps....

Andy
patters 16 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2005 2:20PM
you might already have some space, depending on what isp your with. like www.btconnect.com/julesm for example
Alex_HD 16 10
14 Jan 2005 3:28PM
To add sales facilites you can always sign up with a community type site that offers this and have the pics you want to offer uploaded with them. You then just promote your portfolio on the site on your own simpler site. I've just been looking around at sites that offer this sort of option .. for example www.photoexposure.com I don't know anything beyond what is on their site . .just an idea!
duncan clarke 16 350 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2005 7:35PM
I got myself a web host with domain name stuff from 1 and 1. To that I added software and spent some time playing about with the look and feel of the site. I have done this a few times, but my most popular so far is my skating site.
pgarwood 16 36 United Kingdom
20 May 2007 9:45PM
I thought someone was offering epz members a special deal for around 20 permonth for website for portfolio / sales use?
Any ideas??? I am along with others keen to try a website setup for photography. I accept that the only real way to do it is to use a professional setup with Credit Card billing. I would appreciate members views
Peter
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
20 May 2007 9:55PM
Try Photium.
Quite a few folk on here use it.
Smile
pgarwood 16 36 United Kingdom
20 May 2007 10:02PM
Yes just had a look at it. Seems to be a great offer!
Thanks

Peter
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
20 May 2007 10:05PM
Will Smith who runs Photium used to be the web developer here, so don't forget to let him know you are an epz member!
Smile
sidaorb 14 3.9k 2 England
20 May 2007 10:22PM
I have two sites with Photium, great value for money. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.