90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Seven Photographs that Changed Fashion - TV

strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2009 11:03PM
OK there is a street in Cirencester that would be great to re-create this, and there is a role for a thin lady, in fact I think if we were to head out tonight with all the recent rain the lighting would be closer to correct than Rankin's re-creation.
cattyal Plus
15 9.2k 6 England
17 Jan 2009 11:05PM
Ha - I was going to say I'll just get my mac but the rain has started again Smile oh dear, what a shame .......
17 Jan 2009 11:13PM
That's just a top up to get the correct surface for the photo. Also the wind is picking up to give even more drama Smile
17 Jan 2009 11:38PM
Being fair to Rankin, I do like his Tulitastic book, especially the black and white shots lit from above. I wonder if he ever reads sites like this and how he feels about the program. I thought he made a good presenter and watching him and Bailey together was amusing.

You can see them in his site just look for the books section.
cattyal Plus
15 9.2k 6 England
18 Jan 2009 8:48AM
Sorry I missed our date in Cirencester last night Strawman Wink I went to bed - seemed the best place to be.....

Shall now browse your link while I drink my morning orange juice.
trivets12 16 1.3k
18 Jan 2009 10:33AM
I only saw the programme last night so now catching up with this thread. The images were great but look how many people are on the team. The photographer can only take credit for the idea, surely, not the final image as there were so many other people who helped create it?
I thought Rankin did a great job of recreating them but the Paris shoot wasn't quite as good and the image of the model squatting with her legs apart - well, quite frankly the model looked like a scrawny, rough old dog! Nowhere near the class or style or poise of the original.
A programme well worth watching, though.
chasney 17 139 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2009 12:16PM
great programme, like others I was surprised how many people on 'Team Rankin'! Makes you appreciate the skill of the original photographers..hope there's another programme like that soon.
billip 16 422 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2009 4:33PM

Quote: The photographer can only take credit for the idea, surely, not the final image as there were so many other people who helped create it?

A very interesting point, which I had been thinking about. It has made me realise that "taking the picture", even the business of getting the right exposure, focal length, aperture, ISO and all the rest is only half the story, if that much. It's precisely the "idea" which makes all the difference,and I find it's this element of creativity and originality of concept which I find very elusive indeed. Perhaps that's what's meant by "talent" !
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2009 8:43PM
Well Ansel Adams had a technical team that even fired the shutter for him. He however worked out the exposure and processing. Its where you point the camera that counts and his pre visualisation.
Ken.
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
18 Jan 2009 10:24PM
In common with other big name artists, you have to consider Rankin's work more as the output of Rankin 'the studio' rather than just Rankin himself. It's a commercial operation where everyone is involved, and doesn't really matter who does what, even tripping the shutter. Obviously he makes the decisions, and when using something more familiar like the RZ he's on his own when shooting, but with something slow and mechanical like the 10x8 it can be a team operation.

Damian Hirst also employs a team of assistants, who often do the painting/buliding/cutting animals in half - and Michelangelo didn't paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling all by himself...
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Jan 2009 7:20AM

Quote:In common with other big name artists, you have to consider Rankin's work more as the output of Rankin 'the studio' rather than just Rankin himself.

The ultimate example of this is Gregory Crewdson - he not only employs somebody to do the dirty work of actually operating the camera but a 'Director of Photography' too...
Graflex 17 488 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2009 10:38AM
Slightly misleading was the fact,Sir Cecil Beaton mainly used Rolleiflexes during his lifetime,not 10x8 cameras.
Their is a famous picture of the Queen using Beaton's Rollei instead of her Leica.

He loved the 6x6 format because of the quickness & mobility.As did Bailey and many more top photographers of the day.

Today,6x7 seems to be the flavour of studio exponents.Either film or digital.
gwoolie 12 7 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2009 4:47PM
Any-one found the complete episode on Divx or Avi?

Missed it all, but found it on Youtube. But would prefer to watch on my tv or Iphone.
Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2009 4:27PM
This is being repeated tonight (21st February) on BBC 4 at 9.00 p.m I believe
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
21 Feb 2009 8:54PM
Just bumping this as it starts in 5 mins and had slipped down the page.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.