Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

SH D3 over the D300S

chensuriashi Plus
14 321 18 England
25 Nov 2017 5:48PM
Hi all I am seriously thinking of going from my D300S to a SH D3 and wondering what I can expect from the upgrade, the ISO is similar I want to be able to lock on to BIFs quicker with the 200/500 VR that is also in the pipeline. There are quite a few D3s on Ebay at the moment for around 400.

So looking forward to hearing from you all soon.

Chen.

Icee 12 11 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2018 9:39PM
I haven't been on for a while and just read your post and would say yes go for the D3 I still have mine and still love it. The increase in high Iso capability will amaze you.
chensuriashi Plus
14 321 18 England
11 Jan 2018 12:02AM
HI I found a D2X with 11.4K shots on it for 275 and bought it, although I am pleased with it at ISO500 and below it is not such a capable camera but has wet my appetite for that style of camera for sure, will go for a D4 or a D4 over the D500 probably later this year.
thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2018 2:49PM
Bear in mind that the D300S is a "newer" camera than the D3 so the electronics will probably be more advanced and you should have slightly better hi-ISO performance.

The basic difference is that any "single digit" Nikon is a very tough beast and designed to survive hard and heavy use. The second tier will give much the same results and is much lighter but needs more careful treatment. Most "pro" cameras seem to be owned by enthusiasts so you should be able to find a good example for a very reasonable price.

The D3 is a very serviceable camera that I've been using professionally in the studio, along with the D3X, for about a decade. They just work and I haven't seen the need to upgrade.
chensuriashi Plus
14 321 18 England
11 Jan 2018 5:20PM
Thanks for that William2, watch my space for some shots with the new Sigma 100/400 on the D300S when I get to go out next time, and we will see how it compares.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.