Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Shallow depth of field with a Fuji S5000 ?

dalowsons 12 89 Australia
15 Nov 2004 12:11PM
Ok, I am going through an experimental phase with shallow depth of field, for which I have been using my Pentax MZ50 with a telephoto lense and getting some good results (soon to be posted Smile

However, I read somewhere that it is much more difficult to get a shallow depth of field with a digital camera. Is this true, and would it be possible with a Fuji S5000 ? I have had a few attempts and not really succeeded, but perhaps I am just using the wrong settings. Obviously I am using the largest aperture possible, but should I use the zoom - would that have the same effect as using a telephoto lense ?

Sorry, lots of basic questions, but I have searched the forums a bit and not really found a direct answer. Thanks in advance for any advice ! Smile

Al

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 13 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2004 2:17PM
When playing with depth of field you need to think of the real focal length of the lens as many digital cameras say that it is a 28mm setting for example, when you find out the real focal length is 5mm for example. Generally for a given f stop, the wider the lens angle the greater the DOF. Why the difference well it is all down to sensor size.

So for your question using a longer focal length will help but as the real focal length will be quite small compared to a 35mm camera, you will have greater DOF for a given f stop. Having said that many find the extra DOF a boon so its swings and roundabouts.
sillyconguru 12 4.4k
15 Nov 2004 2:25PM
Yes, Strawman is correct.

I have a S5000 and differential focussing is only really possible at the 57mm (full zoom) end of the lens @ f3.2 (maximum aperture), this gives a similar DOF to a 35mm standard lens at the same aperture (but with greater magnification). You need to be fairly close to the subject to make the background very blurred.

At the wide-angle end of the lens the DOF is vast, this easily makes everything look in focus.
dalowsons 12 89 Australia
16 Nov 2004 1:21AM
Thanks for your comments, guys. I will have to keep practising and see what I can do. Also, guess I should stop worrying about shallow depth of field and be grateful that I can get such good DOF on the other end of the spectrum Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.