Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Shepherd XE-99 flash meter

CanonMan Plus
15 524 4 England
28 Mar 2005 1:07AM
Does any one have/has any one used the Shepherd XE-99 electronic flash meter. I have inherited one, which appears to be in good nick, but there are no instructions. Setting the ISO number is straightforward. It also then has an f-number dial, whereas I've used other meters where you set the shutter speed and the meter tells you which f-number to set. The top of the f-number dial has numbers ranging from 1-9 and across the top, there are red LEDs also ranging from 1-9 (and over B.C.). When the f-number dial is rotated, a little arrow points somewhere along the dial 1-9. Am I supposed to set the ISO and f-number, fire the flash and then for "perfect exposure", match the LEDs to the dial number? Also, on the side of the meter there is a swirch B.C. ON/OFF.

Anyone out there able to help me figure out how to use this? Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
15 18.8k 97 England
28 Mar 2005 1:18AM
If I remember rightly the dial that rotates with the apertures on has a scale from 0 to 9 at the top. You fire the flash take a reading from the neon scale and set this on the dial. So if it says 8 on the LED, rotate the dial around so 8 is set and read the aperture off the bottom of the dial.
alan h. 15 275 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2005 3:50AM
i use a shepherd xe 88 flash meter which i think will work on the same pricipal.i use it for studio flash and use the incident light mode. slide the invercone over the sensor and set the flash off holding the meter at the principal point of interest of the subject with the light sensor pointing directly towards the camera. the led array will register the ammount of light coming on to the light sensor.for reflected light move the invercone to the other end and set off the flash with the sensor pointing towards the subject. i find the meter pretty accurate. alan h.
User_Removed 13 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Mar 2005 5:32AM
You sweet old-fashioned thing you Pete...!! Yer right!!

(Got one too!!)

Mike
CanonMan Plus
15 524 4 England
28 Mar 2005 1:32PM
Thanks all. Makes sense once you have a good look and a play.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.