Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Shockwave, browsers, websites

onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2007 11:47PM
I'm in need of help! There, I've said it.

I've just redesigned and re-launched my website (after far too long since it was last done) and I'm having problems.

The galleries are shockwave flash files so they work as a slideshow...but I'm getting some feedback that not everyone can see them.
Nothing strange there I thought, must be a plugin problem.

However, even when people have plugins correctly installed, it works for some and not for others.

I initially thought it was an IE7 problem, but some people with IE7 can see it, others can't. Same with IE6 and Safari (on both PPC and Intel). Some get it, some don't. The only browser that seems to work for everyone is Firefox.

I've persuaded people to install the plugins, restart the browsers (and computer in some cases) and try again - still no joy. They seem to get a window (this is fairly consistent across all of them) that says "Shockwave flash, press space bar or enter to continue" or words to that effect. Trouble is, on pressing the spacebar or enter, nothing happens.

Could it be an ActiveX/Security problem I thought? Well, to make it even more confusing, the homepage has a rolling slideshow too - and yet evryone can seemingly see that - and yet it's done in the same program as the galleries.

So, my question is twofold:
a) can you take a look at the site and see if it works for you? (If you want to give any feedback on the rest of the site, that's more than welcome as well!)
b) If you have any idea why it's working for some and not for others, I'd love to know.

And here's the little linky:
Photopositive

Thanks everyone.....

Dave
NevP 15 853 13 Canada
6 Jan 2007 12:26AM
This is the result of a lawsuit involving Microsoft and the University that held the patent to the technology that allows seamless intergration of rich content (Flash etc.) into websites.
Google EOLAS for further information. There is a workaround possible to pre-load instructions when visiting the site to allow seamless presentation, but it is too technical for me, I'm not a coder. Check the Microsoft site for their workaround, Googling will also give you others solutions, some of which may be better than others.
Also, web authors should be able to sort this for you at a reasonable cost.
Basically it's a money squabble that has caused a lot of people a lot of grief. HTH
NevP 15 853 13 Canada
6 Jan 2007 6:50AM
I should also say I just checked out the site and it looks good with some very nice content. Works great with Firefox but the galleries don't load in ie7.
(Also a couple of typos in the blog). Smile
onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2007 11:00AM
Nev, thanks very much for that. I think I've sorted the problem. For anyone else who is having, or may have that problem, this seemingly gave me a solution
From what I understand it's doing, you need to pull the SWF file in via Javascript rather than just linking it in. That way it gets around the EOLAS problem.

Thanks for feedback too - if anyone else has some time to give feedback on design/content I'm all ears!

Nev- I know about the typos in the blog - it's a js thing. That is sucked through from the blog by js and it doesn't like some characters, hence they get garbled. I'm happy to live with it though.

Dave
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2007 2:23PM
Just checked again, galleries now load and I'm using IE7.

Jo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.