Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Shoot to the right - or left?

28 Jan 2015 10:07AM
Now I feel we are ready to come to the right conclusion:

Use of every photographic technique is conditional.

There will be subject, cameras, photographer's expertise levels in play and "expose to the right" may be not applicable in principle. Or "expose to the left" (whatever it may mean). In one of multiple photographic blogs I read an excellent ,albeit very broad , universal exposure rule (sorry did not save the link). It sounded like:

Always shoot with the largest exposure (in terms of shutter and aperture combination) that conditions allow.

And conditions combination is a tough call to define - for every particular image (see a short list of variables above).
For that Facebook-style "one fits all" advice on exposure technique is simply not serious enough to consider.

Cheers!

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2015 10:29AM

Quote:Always shoot with the largest exposure (in terms of shutter and aperture combination) that conditions allow.

I would say 'Always' as in 'if you want to increase the chances of maximising detail, though whether you will see any advantage dependson so many other things'.
I see it as directly analagous to the raw vs jpeg debate: in theory raw offers more detail to work with but where an image is well within dynamic range of the camera and you have an appropriate jpeg profile in operation a vast majority of people will find it hard to beat the incamera jpeg. But theylike the idea of having maximum detail just in case. In fact, I read on article that said if you take the time and trouble to shoot raw why not go one step further and consider the principles of ETTR to maximise the raw file even further.

Quote:For that Facebook-style "one fits all" advice on exposure technique is simply not serious enough to consider.

Agreed - some people dont think that with the low noise of modern sensors ETTR offers a meaningful advantage anymore (if it ever did). Or don't think the hassle is worth the pay off.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.