Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Shooting cyclists at an indoor Velodrome

boiledegg 16 164 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2004 5:16PM
I don't mean shooting with a gun Wink

I'm going to a cycling event on Saturday at Manchester Velodrome. I'm not actually sure photgraphy is allowed but I have been before and took photos no problem.
However, if photography IS allowed I would like to take some pictures. Last time (beofre joining EPZ!) I tried and all I had was blur,blur and more blur.
This time I have a different camera (300D + kit lens) and need some tips and advice.
I tae it my flash will be as much use as a chocolate teapot and I won't be taking a tripod , so is it worth even bothering?

I don't forsee me taking any more action shots this year so don't advise me to get a new camera or lenses or anything Smile

Thanking you in advance Smile
shooter 19 105 Canada
21 Oct 2004 5:14AM
If you have access CLOSE to the cyclists, do take your flash, and use your camera on MANUAL.

Use a very high ISO setting (400 or more) and a moderate shutter speed, like a 60th, and pan (follow the motion) of the cyclists as they go past, squeezing the shutter gently while not stopping you follow motion.

Be prepared to take quite a few test shots varying the aperture until you balance the amount of available light with the flash's output. When you have the aperture setting determined, leave it be, and just concentrate on framing the cyclists as they go past.

Whilst this is an outdoor shot, the principle is exactly the same: Click for Cycling Photo
boiledegg 16 164 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2004 10:10AM
Thanks for the reply shooter. Yours is an excellent example of what I would like to achieve.
Thanks for the tips, the test shots is a senssible idea!

I'll let you know how I get on Smile

Thanks Again!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.