Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Shooting to infinity

p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2005 5:15AM
Thanks Martin
Agree with Westers, Andy etc. that after a while (if you're landscaping regularly) these aids will become unnecessary. But a handy tool to have around until then, for us part-timers Smile
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fujiconvert 15 1.3k England
16 Dec 2005 8:29AM
I've never had a problem with it,I simply focus at roughly a third into the frame,recompose and stop down to f22 and it works for me every time.
Phil.
spaceman 16 5.3k 3 Wales
16 Dec 2005 11:54AM
Why not just use the DOF scale on the lens? That's what I do.
BruceC 14 171
16 Dec 2005 12:14PM

Quote:Why not just use the DOF scale on the lens?

Because only prime lenses have them, and zooms are far more common these days.

Bruce
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Dec 2005 12:14PM
Many modern lenses don't have them.
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
16 Dec 2005 12:23PM
yeah nothing i've bought in the past 3 years has one. Which is a pity as it's what taught me to really understand about DOF. well that and pictures that were blurry. Wink
PatrickSmith 15 1.2k 2 United States
16 Dec 2005 12:39PM
(LOL- Ducking to avoid the comments that will follow my sacreligious ramblings!)

I used to use the hyperfocal formula, but I was never happy with the sharpness of the background. I did a lot of experimentation (hey, I'm a computer programmer..) and even at F22, focusing at a hyperfocal distance of, say 10 feet away never produced the same sharpness in the background that focusing to infinity would give. So I always focus to infinity on every shot. Then I adjust the aperture to get closer objects sharp in the foreground. If I need to get something extra sharp in the foreground, I'll back away a couple of feet or close the aperture. It is easier to sharpen the foreground in PS than to sharpen the background, especially if there is the edge of a hill or line of trees. Now maybe If I had a high-end camera, this would not be the case, I don't know.

I have found that if I focus to infinity, at F8, I can get everything sharp from 8 feet to infinity. At F22 the range is about 3-4 feet to infinity. At F4, it is about 25 feet to infinity.
Patrick
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
16 Dec 2005 12:52PM
sharpness and DOF aren't the same thing - the hyperfoal method will produce the widest range of acceptable focus but the amount of the image that's perfectly focussed stays the same - hold on have i confused myself, don't know lets crack on - using f22 will give great DOF but because of the small area of the lens that's being used sharpness decreases... I think Smile
BruceC 14 171
16 Dec 2005 12:55PM
My brain hurts.
16 Dec 2005 12:58PM
Sorry Mr. Gumby!
Patrick
16 Dec 2005 1:02PM
Your brain hurts....my face hurts from laughing.
Wink

Surely we can't control focus by letting that control the exposure we use. That should be governed by how we want the shot to look in the final image.

Having the background sharp is fine....on screen...when it comes to printing, this is a very different thing altogether. Something that perhaps digital photography is failing to grasp as we zoom into perilous depth on our high res screens....and that is not a pro-film plug.
Wink
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
16 Dec 2005 1:10PM
well seeing as i'm peering through a gap in the many things wrapped around my head - abcess in my jaw and sinus infection now - I was probably suffering from diffraction as well as a splitting head ache
16 Dec 2005 1:19PM
True Keith. I will admit that what I said only applies when exposure time does not matter at all. If it does, then I'll focus in closer more towards the hyperfocal distance. And I'll cheat toward infinity where I can. But I may be in for a rude awakening when I do some printing at big sizes! And I better do it soon in order to avoid wasting a lot of time ruining one shot after another without knowing it!!
Patrick
16 Dec 2005 1:21PM
Exposure always matters.

(bed time)
16 Dec 2005 1:26PM
What? So early? LOL - It's only 2:43pm!
Well... back to the drawing board....
Thanks,
Patrick

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.