Shopping: New York or Hong Kong

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
28 Feb 2008 10:13AM
Morning,
I am off to NY on Saturday and was planning to get some equipment at B&H, just found out I will be going to HK in 2 weeks time. Not sure if I should wait and try get the equipment in HK opposed to NY. Does anyone know of any stores in HK where I can check pricing or have any advice about buying in HK.

Thanks
Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 15 6.9k 26 Scotland
28 Feb 2008 11:17AM
Doesn't really matter.................you will always find that what you get tuns out to be cheaper in the other place - it is called Sods Law
stibnite 13 131 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2008 4:06PM
Remember nothing prepares you for the B & H experience................and watch the opening hours, they are a bit unconventional due to the orthodox Jewish ownership

Worth checking out Calument as well, I found a few bits a lot cheaper than the website implied

I use digitalrev in HK but don't know if they have a real shop out there.

Have fun.
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
28 Feb 2008 5:02PM
Thanks David, I have checked and B@H are cheaper. I agree about the B@H experience although it normally turns out a costly one.
Cheers
Marc
DaveCole 12 152 Wales
29 Feb 2008 9:42AM
Hello,you lucky man,wish i was going to hk!fortress shops are big outlets in hk,but be careful of some of the smaller shops!copies!and don't forget HAGGLE hard!!best of luck!
cheers
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
29 Feb 2008 12:39PM
I was browsing the fabled duty free in Dubai recently and was surprised to see that every item I priced was more expensive the the UK duty and VAT paid price. Nikon 18-200 was 40 more than in WHE.
stibnite 13 131 United Kingdom
29 Feb 2008 1:23PM

Quote:Thanks David, I have checked and B@H are cheaper. I agree about the B@H experience although it normally turns out a costly one.
Cheers
Marc

I take it you have been then, not the expense for me but the noise and commotion of the place, they have an upstairs now that they didn't have last time I went. Its just bewildering.

The calumet thing was odd, UK price was 29.99 GBP website and catalogue I had from the US about 26 dollars + Tax. actual cost 24 dollars including tax

Have a good trip.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.