Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Should foreign aid be suspended

mark_delta 14 1.3k
21 Nov 2009 10:22PM
in light of the hundreds of millions of pounds of devastation in Cockermouth and surrounding towns and villages, a flood of biblical proportions all the government can come up with is a measly one million pounds to help out with the dissaster,
yet we can give 825 million to India, a country with a space programme and planning a trip to the moon.
But when disaster strikes here, the pots always empty or gets a measly token dish out.
Bridges built 300 years ago crumble in to rivers, people of the last floods in toll bar still living in caravans fighting insurance companies in court..
have we got our priorities wrong here ?
Should we suspend all foreign aid and help people here first ?
Will they be helping us ?
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
21 Nov 2009 10:24PM
I've always said charity begins at home.
leeroe 19 231 England
21 Nov 2009 10:53PM
I think its a bloody disgrace, charity should start at home you are right, 100% and 1m to try and help the residents of Cockermouth is bullsh*t when you consider the money we spend on donating to other countries. Our own people are in desperate need of financial help, but this government would rather dilute our coffers by letting loads of immigrants into the country, give them a roof over their heads, a fat wallet of benefits and free healthcare, all paid for by tax payers like you and I. Its BS, and when you get an appointment with your local MP, like I did, they tell you its just how it is, and we Brits just take it up the ass and do nothing about it, sometimes I wonder what this country is going to end up like !!

Yours
frustrated and angered ...deeply
Lee
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
21 Nov 2009 10:57PM
If you stop wasting money on new submarines, you will have plenty money to rebuild all UK's inner cities & have some left over for foreign aid.
riggwelter 14 165 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 1:35AM
You can give money to less well off people in Cumbria affected by the floods on this site;

Cumbria Foundation
riggwelter 14 165 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 1:48AM

Quote:If you stop wasting money on new submarines, you will have plenty money to rebuild all UK's inner cities & have some left over for foreign aid.

Submarine building is a major source of employment in Cumbria. They may cost many millions of pounds to develop and build but all of this is paid to the people who develop/build/operate them.

This may sound Folly.

(Do I need to say 'look up the word Folly')?
riprap007 17 1.6k 37 England
22 Nov 2009 1:49AM
Delta for PM, has a certain ring to it doesn't it?

Pass
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 2:39AM
Giving aid to a country with a space program is obscene.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
22 Nov 2009 6:06AM
It might be their version of the Jetsons.Smile
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
22 Nov 2009 9:16AM

Quote:Should foreign aid be suspended?

Yes.
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 9:31AM
Just wondering if the Banks will help in a significant way especially as they know what help is when your back is against the wall.

Also on BBC News a lady said in an interview that a lot of people are not covered by insurance. She went on to explain that as this is the fourth flood in recent years the insurance companies want a 20,000 excess for any claim. She said that with that rule people just could nor afford insurance. Really helpful those insurance companies when you need them...........
pcheywood 16 1.3k England
22 Nov 2009 10:05AM

Quote:If you stop wasting money on new submarines, you will have plenty money to rebuild all UK's inner cities & have some left over for foreign aid.

Perhaps the country with the space program, who happily accept the foreign aid and indeed lobby for more, might want to stop building its own nuclear submarines also.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 10:38AM
Definately, while we're at it lets get all our cash back from the bankers and sort out the NHS and the schools... We'll still have enough left to rebuild cockermouth.
riprap007 17 1.6k 37 England
22 Nov 2009 11:00AM
and pay for world harmony no doubt too - wonderfully simplistic - the beauty of quantitative easing
stevie 17 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 11:12AM

Quote:sort out the NHS

So, just out of interest, anyone spent much time in a third world hospital recently.....?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.