Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Should foreign aid be suspended

Ganto 15 769 2 Ireland
23 Nov 2009 8:56PM

Quote:they have to go past a number of government agencies, including SEPA. SEPA then make a recommendation to the council planning department regarding flood plains and sewage connection issues, and the council looks at the money it's going to get from the developers, ignores the advice and tells the developers to get on with it...

Same story over here!
mark_delta 14 1.3k
23 Nov 2009 8:57PM
Then perhaps its time for a first..
Woodlander 14 122 Northern Ireland
23 Nov 2009 8:58PM

Quote:The government doesn't encourage building on flood plains. At the moment, when planning applications come in, certainly in Scotland, they have to go past a number of government agencies, including SEPA. SEPA then make a recommendation to the council planning department regarding flood plains and sewage connection issues, and the council looks at the money it's going to get from the developers, ignores the advice and tells the developers to get on with it...

so that's not encouraging it then, and the council is not the government, planners don't take bungs they wouldn't need to get if it was legit
Woodlander 14 122 Northern Ireland
23 Nov 2009 9:00PM
besides your missing the point. its our fault all of us
fraser 17 631 14 Scotland
24 Nov 2009 1:05PM

Quote:The government doesn't encourage building on flood plains. At the moment, when planning applications come in, certainly in Scotland, they have to go past a number of government agencies, including SEPA. SEPA then make a recommendation to the council planning department regarding flood plains and sewage connection issues, and the council looks at the money it's going to get from the developers, ignores the advice and tells the developers to get on with it...

You sound like your in the same business as me......

Anyway, the UK gets quite a lot out of foreign aid (probably more than it spends) and we have a moral imperative to invest aid in countries that we plundered during the years of the Empire. Why do you think we qualify as one of the world's richest nations? The wealth is built on the foundations of colonialism and assett stripping, Victorian style.

Now, if you were arguing against UK investment in a totally pointless nuclear deterrent and simple bad management in order to support social projects I might be more supportive.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2009 1:11PM
Would suspending foreign aid include the English taxpayer no longer subsiding the 'Governments" of Scotland and Wales? Grin
24 Nov 2009 1:17PM

Quote:Would suspending foreign aid include the English taxpayer no longer subsiding the 'Governments" of Scotland and Wales?

Suit me, we could just cut off the oil and tax revenues to England then and stop the nuclear subs using our waters. Tongue
mark_delta 14 1.3k
24 Nov 2009 4:46PM
You dont have any waters, only 3 miles from your coast, The rest is Britannic sovereign water or any oil rigs by that measure as they stand firmly in sovereign water, unless you plan to send your "navy" to capture them ..
24 Nov 2009 5:27PM

Quote:You dont have any waters, only 3 miles from your coast, The rest is Britannic sovereign water or any oil rigs by that measure as they stand firmly in sovereign water, unless you plan to send your "navy" to capture them ..

Whilst I'm reluctant to hijack this thread the nuclear base at Faslane is well within our territorial waters as they stand at the moment. Also, in the event of independence I think you'd find that UK territorial waters would be redefined under international law. Such redefinition would bring the rigs under Scottish control. So nae luck there then. Tongue Tongue.

Anyway, back on topic, has it occurred to anyone that most of the damage in Cumbria will be paid for by the private sector (insurance), which is what it is there for. Any government money will, basically, subsidise the insurance companies, and we don't want that. What we do want is plenty of pressure on the insurers to make sure they pay out.
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
24 Nov 2009 5:50PM
I think the price of bridges and perhaps schools and public building work will be high as well, very. The local infrastructure will have taken a beaten.
24 Nov 2009 7:48PM
The local infrastructure will also be insured to an extent.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.