ADVERTISEMENT
Shop Amazon's Best Sellers in Camera & Photo

Should I change DSLRs

MrDennis Plus
13 308 Wales
19 Sep 2009 5:41PM
Hi Good folks.
I own a Sony a700. I am happy with the images I get with my Normal lenses. 50mm--Tamron 70-300mm--Minolta 18-70mm--Minolta 28-70... But where I am unhappy is here.
My a700 Busted the gears in my Sigma 70-300 Twice (so had to buy a Tamron instead) & messed it up again the other week. It also Messed up my Sigma 170-500 twice and it's now back with sigma with Soft focusing at the 500mm end.
Now a Lens is supposed to be for Life. LOL. oh Yea! Not any more.
Anyway to get to the nitty-gritty----I done a deal with sigma to swap my 170-500 + £537 for the New Sigma 150-500.
ALAS after waiting near three weeks, I phoned em up n was told I won't get one untill December. There be loads who have ordered one for Sony cameras.
SO! do I wait and not be able to do my Birding for 2 months n half or do I go and BUY a Canon 50D as I can have the Canon fit Immediatly.
Mind you, though the Canon 50D is newer than my a700 after reading countless reviews on both, I have come to the concluseion that the a700 is that little bit better when it comes to good images. Canon 50D is Great with TOP END lenses like the Canon 500mmf4 (cost toooooo much) lol.
OR should I go and buy my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 + Sigma 2x converter (as I been saveing up for) and use that for birding until my 150-500mm arrives. Then next year wait & see what Sony brings out. Or Throw Sony altogether and go buy ANYTHING but Sony. As you gather I'm begining to Hate Sony. Never had problems with my Film SLRs or lenses.
Hope you followed this. Smile I'm fed up of Dithering on what to do so need some reasurances. Oh Ye! Wish me a Happy 62 Birthday to CHEER me Up. Smile A Very Undecided photographer.
miptog 17 3.6k 68 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2009 5:58PM

Quote:My a700 Busted the gears in my Sigma 70-300 Twice (so had to buy a Tamron instead) & messed it up again the other week. It also Messed up my Sigma 170-500 twice and it's now back with sigma with Soft focusing at the 500mm end.

Is this an A700/Sigma incompatibility issue or just something that only your camera does?
cattyal Plus
17 9.2k 6 England
19 Sep 2009 6:15PM

Quote: Oh Ye! Wish me a Happy 62 Birthday to CHEER me Up.

Happy Birthday MrDennis Smile

(you don't seem to be on the epz birthday list ?)
monosodium 13 8 10 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2009 6:59PM
Sounds to me like what you actually need is a different a700...

The sale of goods act is your friend here. Even if it is out of warranty Sony still need to fix the problem as it relates to either a design or manufacturing defect. Your first point of contact needs to be the seller, not Sony, and there's a good chance you'll need to slap a few phone jockeys about before you get to speak to someone who knows your rights...

* and save your money for that bit of top notch glass you fancy...
cameracat 19 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Sep 2009 7:04PM
Ok! So lets see what we have here....!

You have a camera body, That chews up your lens, In some cases more than once....!!

Is it not about time to ask Sony for some explanation...?

Before you run out of lens, Altogether....Sad

Personally I'd dump the whole lot, Cut your losses, Then start again with another brand.....Wink Preferably one of the companies, With a real pedigree in SLR/DSLR engineering.
lawbert 16 1.8k 15 England
19 Sep 2009 7:21PM
Happy Birthday Mr Dennis!!

As for what you should do?...well...waiting a couple of months is obviously out of the question.

I can only speak of what I know on Sigma and Canon.
I have a Canon 50d and Sigma 50-500 which produces great images on birds (have a look at the earlier part of my portfolio)
I also have a Sigma 120-300 and really cant complain about either lense, The Canon 50d does have a very usefull feature called AF adjustment which I have used to calibrate both sigma lenses as I was finding them both a little soft at the far end, Now I have done this I am more than happy with them and the picture quality from the 50d.
MrDennis Plus
13 308 Wales
19 Sep 2009 7:28PM
OK--Sony Don't want to know. I had a Row with them on the phone Months ago. What the person said was---are you useing recomended lenses for Sony camera. (I won't tell you what I said)
If you not, then Sony will not look at the camera. I wanted them to test the AF as I thought it was not quite correct. But there again, I get no problems with useing other lenses.
It is a known fact (Sigma recognises it) that the a700 eats both those lenses for Breakfast, Dinner & Tea. Smile (mashes up the Gears)One reason why Sigma just built the 150-500mm Something to do with the Fast AF Motor in the a700.
I did say after my little phone conversation I would NEVER buy another Sony product. But it costs too much to buy new camera plus three lenses. What is puting me off the Canon 50D is the ePhotozine review that came up with the a700 just being that little better than 50D. I'm not techy minded so would not really know if my a700 Af was not working properly as on my other lenses it's fine. SOFT, too soft really in comeing out the camera but Great once sharpened in PSCS3.
I just need some advice as to what to do. This a700 has done my head in since day one..But as I said earlier, i get great images with the kit lens 17-70 & the Tamron 70-300. Here in UK We only get 1 year Warranty, so why does rest of Europe get two years warranty ???? My warranty ran out 2 weeks ago. Was 1 year old first week Sept. It's a Dillema for me. So I thought it is time to solve my Dilema! With your Help...Thanks for Birthday Wishes. I might not have entered it in my portfolio.
Coleslaw 17 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Sep 2009 8:07PM
I would say don't mind too much about reviews. You can read different reviews saying the other is better.
Don't forget other than 50D, you might want to consider Nikon D300.
cambirder 19 7.2k England
19 Sep 2009 9:00PM

Quote:OK--Sony Don't want to know. I had a Row with them on the phone Months ago. What the person said was---are you useing recomended lenses for Sony camera. (I won't tell you what I said)
If you not, then Sony will not look at the camera. I wanted them to test the AF as I thought it was not quite correct. But there again, I get no problems with useing other lenses.
It is a known fact (Sigma recognises it) that the a700 eats both those lenses for Breakfast, Dinner & Tea. (mashes up the Gears)One reason why Sigma just built the 150-500mm Something to do with the Fast AF Motor in the a700.

I think you are possibly looking at this the wrong way round. To me this sounds like a design fault with the Sigma lens. I think you would have a very difficult job getting any recompense out of Sony because you have to show its faulty, rather than the the problem being with a poorly designed lens.
jondf 16 2.8k
19 Sep 2009 9:11PM
It's plain that you can't continue in what, on the face of it, has become a predictable spiral of misfortune. On that basis alone I'd agree with Vince in that you should move over to the Canon if only because you've (understandably) lost confidence in the A700......or is there more to this tale than we already know?
LensYews 14 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2009 9:59PM
If you have a question about whether the Canon 50d or Nikon D300 won't produce the results you need, why not try them out on a rental basis.

Looking on Hireacamera.com (first search that came up with Sigma lens options, rather than personal experience of their service) 50D (£74) + 150-500mm (£44) would be £118 for a weekend (excluding VAT), and the D300/150-500mm combination would be £126.

Steve
RavenTepes 13 226 United States
19 Sep 2009 10:31PM
Rather than go with the 50D, I'd opt for a 40D. The upgrades really don't seem worth the extra money in my opinion. Also, the 40D is a faster body, which is somewhat marginal, but still worth concidering.
strawman 19 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2009 11:18PM
I would get your A700 serviced and ask them to check the alignment of the motor and its lens coupling. as for changing systems, my own feeling of the A700 and the 40D was they had different plus and minus points, but in the end equals.

It all depends how many working lenses you have left.
thewilliam 14 6.1k
20 Sep 2009 10:45AM
I thought proper photographers always use Canon!
keith selmes 19 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2009 11:08AM
Canon for preference of course (Smile) but we will use anything we can lay our hands on that can be got into working order!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.