ADVERTISEMENT
The Societies' 2023 Photo Convention: Use Code EP10 To Save 10% On Seminar Tickets

Should I change DSLRs

EleanorMaw 13 110 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2009 9:35AM
I am not a big fan of Sigma lens, the only one I kept out of the few I bought is the 15mm -30mm and that is more used on my Nikon F4 and not much cop on a digital SLR.
The Tamron 10mm - 24mm lens I have for the digital SLRs I have has no problem and even works OK on the Nikon F4 if I don't use anything wider than 15mm setting in program & shutter priority, maybe you should buy a Tamron lens instead.
strawman 19 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2009 10:32AM
I think like every manufacturer they have stars and flops. Certainly I have no complaints about the Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 105 macro I have and I would argue they stand comparison with the other lens manufacturers.

Also some of their entry basic lenses stand comparison with the manufacturer entry lenses and put some of them to shame. The 70-300 APO strikes me as a budget star, as are the basic 18-50, and the 55-200.

Ironically the lens you are keeping is one of the sigma ones that failed to impress me. Generally their macro lenses are very good and as is often the case in life, you are left facing the what do I get for my money question..
samfurlong 16 2.5k United Kingdom
2 Oct 2009 6:18PM
In all honesty, as long as the lenses for the Sony are available for you now then I'd stay with them for now at least.
Sony has proven ability in the electronics industry and it is they who make probably the best sensor in a DSLR today - that of the Nikon D3.
At the moment Sony is not a realistic choice for pro use as there are too many things they do not make / aren't compatible etc.. as you have experienced but in a few years they will be a big player.
If the new sigma 50-500 will work ok with the A700 then stick with it.
If you literally can't get the lenses you want then you may have no choice but to move systems.
thewilliam 14 6.1k
2 Oct 2009 6:20PM
Best choice of lenses will depend on how much you're likely to use your kit. A lot of entry-level camera bodies and lenses, when new and used by a skilled photographer, can give results that are very nearly as good as the top-end kit.

The main difference is durability - my old Kodak 760 bodies had a warranty of 100k actuations, which is only of interest to a busy professional. The the last list price was nearly 7k plus VAT so it's just as well I won the Kodak Portrait Photographer of the Year.

Sigma lenses come at a reasonable price for a good reason - they can profitably be made and sold at for that price. I'm not going to risk litigation by suggesting that they're less durable than the top-end offerings from Nikon, Canon or Carl Zeiss but certainly Sigma lenses perform well when they're new.
23 Oct 2009 7:49AM

Quote:Quote:My a700 Busted the gears in my Sigma 70-300 Twice (so had to buy a Tamron instead) & messed it up again the other week. It also Messed up my Sigma 170-500 twice and it's now back with sigma with Soft focusing at the 500mm end.Is this an A700/Sigma incompatibility issue or just something that only your camera does?

I had a similar problem with my Sigma 50-500mm and my old KM5D, I made a post on Dyxum.com (Sony forum) and got this reply;

''This should absolutely be handled by Sigma under warranty.
My guess is that the clutch that engages/disengages the focus train might be worn out or have some kind of problem. This is a lens problem through and through and it would probably do the same between any camera body. Unlike Tamron's focus clutch on the 90mm/70-200 etc, or Minolta's focus clutch on the D lenses, the Sigma uses a completely different kind of mechanism. When you pull it towards MF, it actually disengages the lens' focus train and in place engages manual focus. This is why the body can grind if you have the lens in MF mode while the body is in AF.

When repaired, make sure that the lens' AF Mode matches the body's. If you have it in M, put the lens in M. If you have it in AF, put it on AF.
Also, make sure when Sigma UK has it that they tighten up the screws in the zoom switch... they have a tendency of backing out and falling into the zoom train''.

It may not be of any help now, but might help understand (if its acurate) what the gearing problem was. Happy shooting, Rob.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.