ePz Exclusive: Save 10% On Eversure Camera Insurance

Should I or shouldn't I?

15 Jan 2018 10:09PM
I'm 72 btw, and I find the Canon kit I have is within a few ounces of what I'd get in a matching MFT kit.

Thanks for your eloquent summary, it seems that I may not achieve what I seek by changing to MFT.

I must admit despite the weight frustration I love the combination of 80D with the Sigma 150-600 C and am pleased with the results. I’ve only recently purchased the 1.4 convertor and am getting used to the reduction in aperture. This dull weather doesn’t help. I won’t rush into any decision, after all I’m not at deaths door yet and having lugged it around Shetland for 7days I coped. Thanks for your interest

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
15 Jan 2018 10:24PM
You also might enjoy a day out walking in the field with a nice little macro lens attached, and a small, light travel tripod. You might come home with a card full of amazing close-ups. Almost any macro lens will do, however, check out the lens to subject distance; longer might be better.

You don't have to take all of your kit on every outing; sometimes it can help to learn what you can do with a particular lens when you have no other choice.
16 Jan 2018 8:07AM
I do try to plan my photographic trips with particular shots I mind, or on general walks just keep the 18-250 on the camera.

As mentioned yesterday evening, this issue needs some serious thought from me before making any rash decisions.

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to share their own experiences, it has been invaluable and has no doubt prevented me from possibly making a rash decision.

Maybe I need a body building course, or could borrow Steve’s “younger bit of stuff” to carry my gear 😁
kodachrome 7 720
19 Jan 2018 11:04AM
I being in the same ball park age wise, was getting an aching shoulder from a Sony A57 and a bag full of lenses, especially on landscape treks, so I put aside all the prejudice and my misgivings about bridge cameras and got a Pannasonic Lumix FZ330 mainly on the back of reviews which were very positive. For my needs its an all in one camera with a superb Leica vario Elmarit constant F/2.8 zoom 25-600 and excellent IQ for a small sensor. Being a fair weather photographer, I doubt I will be pushing the sensor in low light conditions that often. So just one camera to cart round and no lenses. although to be honest its a tad heavier and bigger than a Olympus M/4/3 body
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.4k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2018 1:35PM
I have an E-M10 with a few lenses.
The primes give a very light combination, Panasonic 25mm and M.Zuiko 45mm. Then resident lens when in the case is a Tamron 14-150 which is well balanced with the body. Ive used for days out and had no problems with weight or stress on hands.
My 4th lens is a M.Zuiko 75-300mm. This is a little front heavy, I have tbis for specific uses so again not been an issue.
One thing id say is try hold one in a shop. They are very compact. Ive not got big hands so don't have a problem. However if you've hand like a premier league goal keeper it could be an issue.
Although additional kit does include a grip and the M1 has a larger left hand side.
Im very happy with image quality several images on here.
Good luck in getting the right kit
Dave
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
19 Jan 2018 1:37PM
How are you carrying your kit?
A good back-pack incorporating waist belt support greatly reduces the effort required to carry kit compared to a shoulder bag.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
19 Jan 2018 10:25PM
There are so many variables involved in choosing kit; if you don't walk much with it, size and weight really aren't an issue. When I go to the zoo, I walk for about 2 -2.5 hours, and I'm stopping to take pictures every few minutes; Most times I just take the 55-250mm on-camera, with a 10-18mm and a 40mm in my pockets. Now I have a flash, I might start carrying the all weather small shoulder bag. I've done the walk with the 300mm f4, but the prime is much less useful at the zoo, because often times the areas are confined, and 300mm is way too much. Same with the grandkids hockey, the 300mm is too long for most of the rinks, so again I take the 55-250. If I had the equivalent lenses in any other format, I doubt I would have smaller and lighter kit, maybe the camera would be a few ounces lighter and a bit smaller. I looked very closely at the 80D when I was doing research, and for an extra $300 over the 77D, which I purchased, you get better build quality, bigger, heavier camera (a result of the better build) and 1 or 2 fps faster shutter speed. I'm a hobbyist, don't need the extra the 80D provides, and I got the 10-18mm instead. I realised I don't need more than 400mm for wildlife, at least what I shoot, so I'm trying the 300mm prime, which is just short of 500mm on APS-C. So far, apart from background quality, the 55-250mm is faster, better IS, and sharper; which may have something to do with the IS. I just can't carry a huge, heavy lens around with me, and I'm not getting any younger. So much to consider when shopping for kit.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.