Should kingfishers be protected by the Wildlife and countryside act 1981

21 Sep 2012 7:07PM
Kingfishers are protected by the Wildlife and countryside act of 1981. They are a Schedule 1 species. It is illegal to have them in captivity, or to harm them in any way.
Without a licence it is also a criminal offence to photograph them at the nest site during the breeding season, and the perpetrator could be sent to prison.
In Victorian days, women used them to decorate their dresses, and trout fishermen, put a trap on a perch, because they thought they ate trout and salmon. Of the thousands of fish I have seen kingfishers catch, these have never been amongst them.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 9:02PM
just lock everyone up and let nature look after itselfSmile
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
21 Sep 2012 9:10PM

Quote:Of the thousands of fish I have seen kingfishers catch, these have never been amongst them

Maybe not, but they will and do.
21 Sep 2012 11:12PM
sydney2, how on earth could you know that? Minnows, gudgeons, trout, salmon, are all very tiny at some stage. You can't say Kingfishers don't eat them, because there's not a hope of you being close enough to identify them.
22 Sep 2012 12:50AM
22 Sep 2012 6:37AM
Brilliant shot, I live in hope of capturing something similar. I still can't agree with your statement that they don't eat trout or salmon. You can't hope to see every fish they eat.Smile
22 Sep 2012 10:06AM
Don't read me wrong, I said of trout: Of the thousands of fish I have seen kingfishers catch, these have never been amongst them.
I did not say kingfishers do no eat them. It's very unlikely they would do much financial damage to the fisheries, who charge up to 800 for a days trout fishing . The river Test is full of Trout. During the breeding season, a pair of kingfishers catch 100 fish a day to feed themselves and about seven young, I have photographed them with eels, roach, may flies, sticklebacks,minnows,and of course their favourite bull heads.I think the reason is that trout grow quickly,they are only small enough for the birds to eat them for a short part of their life. where as minnows, sticklebacks and bull heads, when fully grown are small enough for kingfishers to consume.
With the aid of a telephoto lens,and the fact I'm usually only a few metres from them I identify most of the kingfishers catches.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.