Should retirement age be raised to 75?

hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
26 Aug 2019 4:19PM

Quote:During my first day in my first job as a young graduate, one of the new-hires asked the pension fund rep how long employees lived after retirement. The answer went something like:-

"If they sit in a chair and do sod-all, they're usually dead within 6 months. If they take up a creative activity of some sort like wood turning or painting, they're still going strong when they reach their 80th birthday."

I shall always remember that answer!

Ha! Ha!

I am currently living that second bit of very wise advice.....sooo....GIT YER LATHE AN YER ART MATERIALS.....canít go wrong...

I spend fifteen minutes in the workshop every morning, making my perch a bit longer..... itís worked so far 🤓👍

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 Plus
16 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2019 10:57PM
We are both in our late 70's, my wife has her own studio in the garden for her ceramic painting and I spend most of my days capturing images, printing my images or coaching camera club members and others in photography. I also am one of a group providing our local wind and kite surfers with a photographic record of their activities for coaching and publicity use (best done off our local beach in "Named Storms" with salt, spume and seaweed flying whilst doging errant boards Wink )

Once a year we have our 2 week exhibition and sale, which in addition to providing funds to cover the costs of our respective hobbies has also enabled us to make many new friends and acquaintances (we also get involved in other shows and exhibitions as and when invited, if we have time) . We are currently six weeks into preparation for this year's show which starts in 10 days (we are nearly ready - we think)

Our sons and grandchildren have to make appointments up to 6 weeks in advance to visit us as we are rarely available, neither of us have time to die, there is still too much to do! Smile
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
28 Aug 2019 1:05AM

Quote:there is still too much to do

Ah but it's all optional! You could choose to do nothing at all.

When there is talk of "retiring" at a certain age all that is being referred to is the pittance they call the state pension.

Plenty of people retire in their 50s if they have a decent occupational pension. I personally know a couple of chaps who were financially able to retire in their mid-40s. Both of them are around 70 now and have enjoyed every minute of their already long retirements.

It's all about the money! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.