Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Should there be a Olympic events where doping is allowed?

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2015 11:04AM
Which let's face it is why they have a 'three strikes' rule - mind you if I had to tell the testers where I was in a one-hour window for the next 3 months I would be banned for life before year end! I know it is easy to say 'I wold if my career depended on it' but I can see why it is easy to miss. Even the testers say that compliance has improved hugely as a result of high-profile bans but not unfortunately everyone is ultra-organised.
Christine Ohourougu was banned for a full year for missing three tests (a pretty good 'reminder') and that would have a significant effect on her career earnings (mind you, she came back stronger and won Olympic gold!). If they think it is a deliberate evasion (always hard to prove) the athlete can be banned for up to 4 years which puts it on a level of punishment for actually using drugs. As I say, the problem is more about consistency.
parallax 11 204 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2015 11:22AM
The battle is not lost.
The bans are just too short.
An instant lifetime ban should be applied so that the Gatlins of this world would be finished.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
20 Aug 2015 9:24PM

Quote:You need to be very careful linking 'using performance enhancing drugs' with 'missing drugs tests'. Where athletes have enforced absences (be it suspension or pregnancy for example) It is quite common for athletes to come back stronger if they get their training right and take the opportunity to relax and recharge their bodies so simply drawing the conclusion as proof they were taking drugs is too simplistic.

The problem is not so much the penalties as the lack of consistency between countries. The US has always taken a more lax approach to the problem than UK as an example which is why Justin Gatlin would have been banned for life by now in UK for his 2 offences.

Who` doing the above Mike.
jondf 14 2.8k
22 Aug 2015 8:57PM

Quote: If people can't show their excellence of their chosen sport by their own prowess

Problem is that without enhancements, the human body likely reached its performance peak a long time ago. I like the idea of allowing any enhancements but only in segregated competitions. Expect it'd become a kind of freak show in which records would get broken and contestants might well die young.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
4 Sep 2015 2:33PM
I think the recent Sunday Times report said that one third of the medal winners in the Beijing games had suspicious results on their tests. Nothing was done about it though. When "Lord" Coe was challenged about this in a BBC interview he described this as a "declaration of war against the sport" - but he was applying for the job of president of the IAAF at the time. This doesn't give a lot of confidence.

It's a business now and they have their stars who bring in the crowds. So they're not going to discredit them if they can avoid it - or the revenue will go down. Is Usain Bolt clean and is Mo Farah clean? Everybody would like to believe so because they're national heroes. But Farah has a few of the classic red flags having over him - his coach is a buyer of drugs, and Farah has missed two tests (one because he "didn't hear the door bell") and his improvement after getting the new coach (Salazar) was unusually rapid. Bolt runs for Jamaica where the out of season testing is known to be lax and where several sprinters have been subject to bans (e.g. Asafa Powell).

Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect that most of the medal winners are using stuff that they shouldn't. The best know how to avoid detection - and most of the rest are protected by the IAAF who want to keep the money rolling in.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.