30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Should voting in the General Election be made compulsory?

gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2019 11:47AM

Quote:You have dropped your pebble in the pool again to see what the ripples catch 🤓
Hi Hobbo!
Yes, I think you encapsulate my motivations quite well! I suppose I throw up all these topics for discussion because I'm simply interested and curious as to what other people think about life. I probably need to get out more! Wink
I think free discussion can help to avoid being too dogmatic or blinkered in our knowledge.Smile
davereet 16 446 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2019 7:00PM
There should be compulsory voting, but the ballot paper should have a none of the above box.
None of the above votes should be counted so that the winning party know whether or not they have a true mandate.

Dave
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2019 7:29PM
Against compulsory voting - people would vote Monster Raving Party just for fun.

However if you don't vote you cannot complain at the outcome.

On this one I'm hoping for repeat of the Foot Fiasco of '83.

Steptoe and Co are completely off it and all those in employment who think otherwise should look closely at the markets and their pensions after (god forbid) a Labour victory - So yes it will negatively affect everyone like it or not. Companies would relocate head-offices outside the UK and private sector tax revenues would fall - look at telecoms this week.

The second time this year I'll get to vote for Boris, It's OK Garth I've got my kevlar vest on ready Wink
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2019 7:33PM
As an example of above in 2009 Ineos wanted to defer a tax payment for a few months.
Gordon Browns lot refused and insisted on immediate payment. The head office was moved from Lyndhurst to Rolle (Switzerland) and thereby reduced their payments into the Exchequer - how much money did Browns decision cost the UK over the following years.
And that's ignoring the gold selloff at bottom of market.

An additional contentious comment - if private sector decided to relocate where would the money come from. Public sector use the exchequers funds. This includes employees who yes pay taxes, but from salaries paid from the exchequer.
The only net contributors are private sector companies and employees.
17 Nov 2019 10:31AM
Past governments, all past governments have made huge errors with our economy. But who can honestly sit here and say that Johnson is going to be good for Britain? I'm none to enamoured with any of the opposition but Johnson?

Broke law with Vote Leave
Acted unlawfully on prorogation
Happy to aid assault on journalist
Under investigation for Jennifer Arcuri wrongdoing
Suppressed report into Russian interference
Engaged in a cover-up of secret talks with US about NHS
UK's intelligence service don't trust him
Add to that that he wasted almost a 1b of tax papers money whilst Mayor of London, along with all the money wasted so far on Brexit. He's been sacked twice for lying and cant answer a straight question without behaving like a blithering idiot. He's an embarrassment but yeah vote for him because he gets you what you want, a fictitious future.
And two years after Grenfell and yet another fire in a high rise his government still haven't prevented the potential for more deaths, how on earth do you think he can lead Britain to a brighter future?

Guarantee you one thing his Magic Money Tree will suddenly disappear after the election if he gets back in.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.8k 2423 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2019 11:45AM
You can add to the above list:

Sacked by the Times for inventing a quote (which proved to be historically ludicrous);

Spent his time in Brussels for the Telegraph concocting fake Euro-scare stories (plans for uniform coffin size, the notorious ban on bent bananas...);

As editor of the Spectator, blamed Hillsborough fans for the 1989 disaster;

Sacked in 2004 as Conservative Vice Chair and Shadow Arts Minister for lying over his affair with Petronella Wyatt;

And never apologized for the 350 million per week claim, although even Farage admitted it was a fiction.

The man wouldn't recognize the truth if it hit him in the face.

gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2019 11:49AM

Quote:Against compulsory voting - people would vote Monster Raving Party just for fun.

However if you don't vote you cannot complain at the outcome.

Well, at least we can agree on that! Smile

Quote:An additional contentious comment - if private sector decided to relocate where would the money come from. Public sector use the exchequers funds. This includes employees who yes pay taxes, but from salaries paid from the exchequer.
The only net contributors are private sector companies and employees.

The private sector robs the taxpayer anyway - its hugely subsidised by public money.
Under a Johnson government the NHS will be sold off to the US and we would have to trade on US terms.
The rich 1% might be better off but would the rest of us?
Why are the Tories suddenly promising to help the less well off when (helped by the Lib Dems) they have imposed savage austerity cuts since 2010? Why haven't the Tories helped the less well off and disabled before now?

Will the disable be better off under a Johnson government? (thousands suffered or even died under the Tories).
Will those on Zero Hours benefit?
Will the UK really enjoy sovereignty under a Brexit loving Johnson government?
Will becoming lap dog and the 51st state to the US give us more sovereignty? (you cannot be serious!).

Quote:UK's intelligence service don't trust him
True but I don't trust them either! Wink
gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2019 11:56AM

Quote:The second time this year I'll get to vote for Boris, It's OK Garth I've got my kevlar vest on ready
Just as well - you're getting stabbed more times than Julius Caesar! Wink

That said, I admit you aren't alone - there is a lot of support for Boris Johnson - God knows why - but that's the reality - or surreality as the case may be.SadSmile
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2019 5:57PM
..... No.
dcash29 15 2.4k England
17 Nov 2019 10:19PM
If you dont live in the UK ...you shouldn't get a vote.

Quote:Guarantee you one thing his Magic Money Tree will suddenly disappear after the election if he gets back in.

From what I've heard on the news, it seems that all parties have one. They all talk bollocks
17 Nov 2019 10:56PM
So all those troops and their families stationed abroad or those working overseas should be denied a vote?
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2019 10:25AM

Quote:

On this one I'm hoping for repeat of the Foot Fiasco of '83.

Not far off mark with that hope, however I think Jezza might be seen (historically) as even more inept and out of touch than Foot.
Railcam 14 907 2 Scotland
14 Dec 2019 10:53AM
The Tories in with a massive majority. It has restored my faith in human nature.
gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2019 10:57AM

Quote:The Tories in with a massive majority. It has restored my faith in human nature.
You mean the lying, greedy, warmongering side of human nature?
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
14 Dec 2019 11:53AM

Quote:
Quote:The Tories in with a massive majority. It has restored my faith in human nature.

Quote:You mean the lying, greedy, warmongering side of human nature?

I feel both sad and angry at that response,..... you tar a huge majority with those taints, just because of a list election ?

The loony left are such poor losers.

Had the boot been in the other foot.... the gloating from the metropolitan left Would never have stopped.

No gloating, here, just heartfelt relief.

As I say..... sad and rather sorry for the Real working classes.... they were let down totally and utterly this time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.