Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Should we print more?

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 May 2020 9:35AM
I got an email a few days back - "website expiring soon. Renew today" Almost all my photo's are electronic. In fact I probably still have more printed photos from my childhood than ones i've printed in the last 20 years - that's my question. it is not better to have real printed photos stored in the house, even if they age and discolour; Something that you and your family can see regardless of a subscription payment or not.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
21 May 2020 10:05AM
Better still is prints - with details (ideally in pencil) on the back - including where, when - and if family or friends - their names.

An electronic file becomes of no use or value except when accessed - which others are unlikely to be able to do - and any print they are interested in may be one of 10,000 electronic files.

What I have done for my "wider circle of family and friends" is to provide them all with electronic files of appropriate images with guidance on how to store them in something like a folder of "family images". With a bit of luck some will then store them for posterity.
21 May 2020 11:06AM
The simple answer to that question is "YES!!!!"

Like Len, I share pictures electronically with family, and always offer to print from the original file if they'd like a print copy too.

My own reasons for printing are various, but the main ones are:
I like to have a print - they always look better than what's on the screen.
I don't entirely trust electronic storage. Having worked with computers for more year than I like to count, I know how easily things can go wrong! (by the way, I do have at least 3 back-ups of my files)
seahawk 13 1.3k United Kingdom
21 May 2020 11:42AM
I print quite a lot - there's nothing like seeing your own photos on paper! Our new house has lots of wall space that now functions as a gallery of my photos plus a couple of Ansel Adams prints. Visitors (remember them?) seem to like it.
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
21 May 2020 12:39PM
I love a print - there is something special and somehow more tangible when you see a printed image that you have created. I concur with all the reasons to print listed above, but would add another...

Photography is a huge part of my life and it is something I would like to be remembered by those closest to me for. More explicitly, I want them to have something physical they can look through and see.

Like most digital photographers (I suspect) - I have a sizeable archive of images stored electronically. Indeed, the cost of printing is prohibitive enough that I currently have a backlog of several hundred images in my print collection in LR (I should add that I don't just want to print my images on a standard 5x6 service at Boots, but rather I want the images to be seen as I intended). Whilst I love to print my own images, I have also recently started printing more using commercial photo-book services. Indeed, if you look around there are some exceptional deals to be had. E.g. this year I was lucky enough to have an application to SAAL Digital accepted for a 100 voucher to try out their products (the book I received is exceptional). Similarly, after the Photo Show was cancelled, I recently had a grand portfolio (a massive 64 page A2 book) printed by nPhoto at a 50% discount (I worked this out as been far cheaper than I could get each image printed using my usual service for A2 prints). I know I was lucky in negotiating this discount as the grand portfolio is usually not included in their discounted products (although they do have a good discount offer open at the moment). Again, the quality of the end product is wonderful.

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
21 May 2020 2:05PM
My old home had several of my photos on the walls but when I moved to my new house (which was built in the 'Arts & Crafts era, and style) in 2014, I decided on a paintings-only policy.

Can't see myself doing prints again but who can say for sure?Smile
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.7k United Kingdom
21 May 2020 9:43PM
I printed a few pictures a few days ago partly to keep things ticking over (and nozzles free) but hopefully I will need them for competitions once the camera club can meet again.

Dave
pink Plus
16 6.4k 8 United Kingdom
22 May 2020 7:11AM
I tend to print snapshots (mainly family) for albums and large prints for framing/sale.
I really enjoy printing it completes the whole process for me.
I don't envy my kids having to dispose of them all though in the future!
altitude50 15 18.3k United Kingdom
22 May 2020 8:13AM
I hardly ever print anything at home. I wait until I have 8 or 10 images I want printed and send them off, thus sharing the postage.

The only time I enjoyed printing was onto sheets of light sensitive photographic paper in a dark room!
22 May 2020 8:55AM
I print mainly at 40 x 50cm for exhibitions using a quality on-line printer (SAAL), but these are too big for everyday use. For that I prefer photo books, more expensive than small prints, but stable, convenient and text/captions easily integrated.
As for leaving a record for future generations, home printed photos with ordinary inkjet inks wont last long enough to be useful - if you use low-cost compatible inks they probably wont even last 5 years.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
22 May 2020 9:11AM
I tend to only (well, mostly) print photos for camera club competitions and exhibitions.
We have reasonably regular discussions on the committee about whether to move more of our competitions to PDI, as some of our members don't want the expense of printing (and mounting) for competitions where they might never use the print again. However, most of us still feel that it's so much better to see the entries printed well.

As far as family photos are concerned, I haven't printed any for years. We have probably 20 photo albums of older photos that we never get out, but digital photo frames that we can load up with all our family stuff and have them on display.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
22 May 2020 9:57AM

Quote:We have reasonably regular discussions on the committee about whether to move more of our competitions to PDI, as some of our members don't want the expense of printing (and mounting) for competitions where they might never use the print again. However, most of us still feel that it's so much better to see the entries printed well.

That would be a shame if you stopped having prints.

I have not been a camera club member for may years but the at the end of the evening one of the benefits was being allowed to go and look / discuss the prints ( not just the winners ) and one often appreciated the finer points on closer inspection, especially tones in B&W prints.

Projected digital images is just not the same Sad

Also with prints the annual exhibition in a local hall / library was a great way to show your work & perhaps attract new members to the club Smile
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.7k United Kingdom
22 May 2020 10:03AM

Quote:I tend to only (well, mostly) print photos for camera club competitions and exhibitions.
We have reasonably regular discussions on the committee about whether to move more of our competitions to PDI, as some of our members don't want the expense of printing (and mounting) for competitions where they might never use the print again. However, most of us still feel that it's so much better to see the entries printed well.

As far as family photos are concerned, I haven't printed any for years. We have probably 20 photo albums of older photos that we never get out, but digital photo frames that we can load up with all our family stuff and have them on display.

At my camera club after seeing a projected talk often prints are available for viewing after. When some of the newer younger members view the prints they are often amazed by the quality compared to projection. The more experienced are probably printers themselves so are well aware of how much additional quality you can get into a print. We are definitely sticking to having print categories though entries are gradually falling. In these COVID 19 times, our on-line competition is essential though. Few people in my club seemed to be bothered about the cost of printing it is more that they cannot be bothered to make the effort.

Dave
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
24 May 2020 11:58AM

Quote:at the end of the evening one of the benefits was being allowed to go and look / discuss the prints ( not just the winners ) and one often appreciated the finer points on closer inspection, especially tones in B&W prints.

Couldn't agree more. Many times I've looked at a photo that a judge has scored highly and wondered why, then had a closer inspection of the print and gone "wow".

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.