Get An Extra 20% Off Regatta New Season Arrivals

Shutter priority - aperture priority - or manual

User_Removed 16 4.9k England
7 Sep 2006 10:31PM
It's not laborious CB..... just give it a try. [Smile
Col
7 Sep 2006 10:34PM

Quote:For what it's worth - I tested all of the automatic modes and learned from the errors they produced I hope. Now I use manual most of the time and play at adjusting the settings when I can. Both are learning modes and my current problem is that people now seem to ignore the readers gallery for critique and the critiique gallery gets a basic one critique in the main - so a nice pic critique means that someone who may leave a learning critique moves on - I'm left wondering why or even if the image was any good

Only have to look at the histogram to see if the exposure's ok. Critiques a whole lot more.
Col
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2006 10:35PM

Quote:read it again and tell me where he says that? Smile

OK he selects an aperture, then looks for something about 18% grey, takes spot meter reading assesses offset adjustment and adjusts shutter speed to give his desired exposure offset. That is exactly the same in terms of end result as

Select aperture using Av mode, select metering point, set offset to exposure. The camera metering still selects the shutter speed. The intelligent decisions are selection of aperture, selection of metering subject, calculation of offset.

In both cases the camera has calculated shutter speed as he is just match needle metering (it is what I used to do with my 1st SLR) in selecting the shutter speed.

So my point, he is achieving the same end result as using Av mode and relying on the in-camera automation as much.

Using Av is not automatic, it is relying on camera metering. Unless he actually calculated the actual shutter and aperture values himself without using in-camera metering, then his version of Manual metering is just match needle Av.
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
7 Sep 2006 10:36PM

Quote:It's not laborious CB..... just give it a try.

Don't be ridiculous Col, I was working out exposure values and learning how to set shutter speeds and apertures while still in short trousers!

I still have a hand written EV table I made when I was in primary school.
7 Sep 2006 10:42PM
By the way, I use a Zorki with no built in light metering and do not use any other light meter. I use my eyes to asses the light conditions in terms of Ev light level and select shutter or aperture value to suit the conditions, with the last parameter being set by selecting to suit the Ev value in a look up table. Plus I manual focus it using a rangefinder or by judgment.

It is no more creative than using my 300D on Av mode and adjusting exposure compensation. Oh and I manual focus about 50% of my shots, but that is because I use hyperfocal techniques.

It is just with the Zorki I have managed to teach myself to aproximate asses the light levels. The clever bit is in selecting the camera values and exposure offset. Oh and composition might just be important.

I think people are pouring scorn on Av mode with exposure adjustment, with no technical or artistic reason. And elevating match needle metering.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
7 Sep 2006 10:45PM
M is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy....

easier than faffing with EV compensation and all that malarkey!

just empower your thumb and finger on those 2 wheels, and click away

nothing laborious about it? is there? Am I missing something?
7 Sep 2006 10:47PM
Yes a lot

Av is one wheel for aperture value, one wheel for exposure offset.

As I said earlier it is effectively the same. It is a two stage exposure system, meter on something, then calculate offset in head.
7 Sep 2006 10:50PM
don't you have to press the exposure lock button too though?
7 Sep 2006 10:50PM
Not on my camera, or the Canons I have used.

You only do that if you are spot metering and then wish to re-compose. For most scenes I find I can asses the impact on average metering and dial it in accordingly.

all of it requires you become used to assesing metering adjustment.
Nike55 15 966 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2006 10:52PM

Quote:I still have a hand written EV table I made when I was in primary school

You're lucky, they wouldn't let me touch a chisel 'til big school.

Back to the thread...

Although DSLR technology allows us take a clinically correct exposure and allow instant review (histogram) or alteration (PS), whenever I use my old OM2 and shoot B&W film my mindset changes completely and I find I think about light effects far more than when I click away with the DSLR.

For me it is almost like knowing a different language... I do not get the same buzz when working with the DSLR and I cannot seem to "feel" or judge the EV in a scene when shooting with anything other than the OM2 or Bronica.

(Edited due to my prev attempt being a load of BXXXs - and this isn't much better...)
7 Sep 2006 10:54PM
Must have to lock the exposure in some way surely...... or it would keep changing with the light/movement. Then you've lost control
Col
7 Sep 2006 10:58PM
Col once you adapt to metering from a known item, you can adjust to metering from what the camera is looking at.

And then for digital it becomes handy to expose to the right, i.e you change your metering program to exposing for highlights, (unless you want them blown).

as the subject moves, it moves into an out of light sources. If you have a fixed exposure you will have a wrong exposure. If you have an offset you stand a better chance in many instances.
7 Sep 2006 10:58PM

Quote:You only do that if you are spot metering and then wish to re-compose.

I rest my case

but

concede that this is impressive...

Quote:For most scenes I find I can asses the impact on average metering and dial it in accordingly.

Smile
7 Sep 2006 11:05PM
In my first year with the 300D it taught me a lot about metering. Now composition, that is an interesting journey. Smile

But to be honest it is no different from looking at something and thinking I want that to be X different from 18% grey. and levels helps point out when you make a mess of it.
7 Sep 2006 11:11PM
well yeah...

getting the thing to expose is a technical issue we can all learn (one way or another Smile ), but getting things to balance, lead the eye, convey a message.... and anything else you can think of is a far more artistic and subjective aspect isn't it?

all those shapes, textures, lines, colours and odd rules add up to a right witches brew!!

you keep adding bits Smile

the exposure debate was fun... lets do the composition one tomorrow ! bed now, school in the morning!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.