Get An Extra 20% Off Regatta New Season Arrivals

Shutter priority - aperture priority - or manual

strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2006 11:14PM
Good idea Night night.
kokobrown 17 1.9k Scotland
7 Sep 2006 11:53PM
Have to agree with a lot of people..
I use manual 95% of the time. It means using your loaf and having more control over your exposures.

Other wise Id use AP mode as I always want control over DOF.

God its late...
yawn...

Laura
x
roverfoxy9 17 278 Spain
8 Sep 2006 12:26AM
I would use M mode more often if my subjects stopped running around in and out of the shadows all the time. But the little bl***ers just won't, no matter how much I shout at them. So most of the time it's Aperture priority for me, with exposure compensation where guessed necessary and constant switching between spot and matrix metering. Oh, and forever switching between manual focus, single autofocus and continuous autofocus. Luckily my camera has levers/switches for all these operations and I don't have to flick through menus, otherwise my subjects would never appear in the frame. So, although I'd love to be in the M club, I'm afraid I probably never will until my muses have left home, and all I'm left to photograph is well-behaved landscapes.
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
8 Sep 2006 12:35AM
I thought digital had done away with all this stuff because you can see if the photograph's correctly exposed with the little television thing on the back of the camera.
roverfoxy9 17 278 Spain
8 Sep 2006 12:38AM
PS - it's not that late Laura. I'm just off to the fridge to get another refreshment. Had a great day off today due to it being my wife's birthday. Went to the fishing town of Santa Pola (Costa Blanca) with the intention of catching the ferry to the small island of Tabarca. Due to an extended and very expensive (for us) lunch on the quayside we missed all the morning boats and ended up having to catchthe 4pm one. Took almost a whole roll of FP4 on the boat (it was our sons' first boat trip apart from ones they were too small to remember, so got some great expressions of excitement...I hope). Great time on the island riding a pedalo and wandering around the tiny village, taking snaps of weathered doorways etc Then back home for a Chinese. It was also my wife's first day in charge of her own digicam, and although it's a budget Sony one, I couldnt believe how small (in fact undetectable) the shutter lag was. I'm not sure if she had it on M or not. Probably not.
roverfoxy9 17 278 Spain
8 Sep 2006 12:45AM
You'd think so, wouldn't you spaceman, but although I love my digicam's ability to do that, the autofocus and shutter lag on it is pants, so you end up with beautifully exposed blurs just leaving the frame. Still, they're beautifully exposed ! And for non-moving subjects, you're right it's an absolute godsend. Now if I could only combine the shutter lag of my wife's new digicam, with all the manual control of my old digicam, I would probably leave my film camera at home more often. But just having ordered a load of dirty chemicals to do my own b/w's again, I'm going to shoot a few more rolls yet.
deviant 17 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2006 7:39AM
I think a benefit of shooting in manual, other than having total control, has not been mentioned yet. So here goes...

If doing a photography job for someone, say for example an outdoor event.

If the conditions are stable and lights not changing rapidly then setting up your camera on manual and shooting away will give a set of images with a very similar look in terms of colour and exposure. This works especially well outdoors.

Doing the above makes it much easier and quicker in the post process developement of pictures. Also the overall series of images have a better more unified look I feel. Now I know thats not a technical or purist reason for using manual mode, however it's a good way of getting another paid job!

D
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2006 7:50AM
An interesting point, but if conditions are stable setting a known offset produces the same result. And if they are variable then there is an advantage in setting an offset and using Av. I found that tracking photo's in football worked best using Av and an offset. For sport high contrast lighting situations I tend to meter for a few places on the pitch to get an idea for offset at the various points of the field then just adjust the compensation as I pan (having made certain that the shutter speed is high enough). The above is something I have found for myself, it could be less than optimal Smile

to be honest I use Av and manual most, followed by occasional dips into Tv.
deviant 17 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2006 8:00AM
Very good points also. I tend to be the same with Manual or AV and comp the odd sortie into shuter priority.

With Flash only ever manual.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
8 Sep 2006 8:58AM
panoramics are better with M too aren't they Smile

I'll shut up on this... though we were moving on to Composition after last night !

Smile
miptog 15 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2006 1:10PM
Really interesting thread. In some respects I am more confused than ever, but have also learnt so much. It certainly seems that each TOG has there own preferred way, and that in some situations one method may be better than the other, but there is no definitive correct method. it also seems that one needs to work within the characteritics of ecah camera, and by definition this will lead to a particular method that suit both it and the TOG. Interesting to note that some of the more professional TOGS use thier rather expensive cameras in "P" mode whilst others only use them in M mode. There is also an element of "I can't trust the camera" so I use "M" for complete control. Before this thread I usaully used Av, but not am trying "P", and for me find it doesn't do too bad a job. Have also discovered that there seems to be some relationship between metering modes (spot, centre, wieighted). Mike
doczoc 18 773
8 Sep 2006 3:17PM
[Quote]You only do that if you are spot metering and then wish to re-compose.

I rest my case

Why is pressing one button [AE lock) more laborious than manually turning the dial to alter the shutter?
randomrubble 17 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2006 5:33PM
Always in Av mode for me. Use the wheel on the back for exposure compensation, it's not as handy as the H/S buttons on a T90, where I always used spot/multi-spot metering, though as it doesn't cancel the EC after you take a shot.

I am however getting lazy about metering with the Eos, as the evaluative system is generally ver good indeed. though I have got occaional problems since getting it repaired recently.
plooto 15 12 England
10 Sep 2006 1:57PM
So here's the story. Yesterday down by the beach when I see windsurfer jetting around at mach 10, in the air, in the sea, all over. Being fairly new to photography I thenk "b*^^er me what setting shall I use" then a voice comes into my head "use the force mike" . In a moment of pure clarity I flicked over to sports and away. Now I know that many may POO POO such action but I was not consumed with guilt and got the shots. What could be happier?
Mike.
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
10 Sep 2006 2:07PM
You possibly got better shots than some who would be busy fidding with dials and buttons... and missing the shots altogether, Mike! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.