Save & earn with MPB this Christmas; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Sigma 10-20 EX DC or Nikon 12-24 DX?

CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
23 Sep 2005 1:20AM
Very much it would be desirable to hear responses of those who works with these lenses.
I can not make a unequivocal choice.

SIGMA more cheaply and "more widely", but it can be as criterion of a choice?

Thanks.

Malik & Mary.
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
23 Sep 2005 4:08AM
I'll tell you tomorrow after my new lens has arrived! I've just ordered the 10-20mm today ;o)

Seriously though, I can't give my opinion yet, but several people on the site have bought the 10-20 and seem very happy with it. It's cheaper than the competiton (the Sigma and Nikon 12-24's) and had some very good reviews.

Providing you're not planning on upgrading to a full-frame sensor very soon (and lets face it, you can't until Nikon start to produce one!), then you'll probably be very happy with it. I'll post again tomorrow and let you know my first thoughts...
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2005 4:10AM
10-20mm cracking lens Wink
richardwheel 16 217 2 England
23 Sep 2005 4:13AM
I've only been out with my 10 - 20mm sigma lens on a canon 350d once but the quality and build is excellent.

I am not anywhere near professional so I can't comment on the lens quality compared to any other lens but I was very impressed.
IanA 18 3.0k 12 England
23 Sep 2005 4:23AM
There is not a lot of difference between the 10-20 Sigma and the 12-24 Nikon quality wise, although there is in price. Sigma's 12-24mm is a different animal in that it can be used on full frame sensors/35mm.
HIH

Ian
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
23 Sep 2005 7:01AM
LOL!! God - I'm slow! Just worked out what 'HIH' means Ian!!

Mike (Duh!!!)
PeterLondon 17 366
23 Sep 2005 8:21AM
I have had the Sigma 10-20mm for about 3 weeks and would say I am very happy with it. Did consider the Nikon 12-24 but it's twice the price and from the reviews I read the Sigma is as good for all practical purposes.

I previously had the Sigma 12-24mm which as is mentioned above works on film as well as digital. The main reason for changing was the ability to use filters as the 12-24mm Sigma has a convex front element which prevents fitting of filters.

That said using the 10-20mm at 10mm there is a problem if you use Cokin P series holders as the holder becomes visible in the frame. This problem goes away if you rotate through 90 degrees but then you cant use grads unless you want a left to right effect!

Not sure if anyone else has cracked this problem ... I expect it means upgrading to Cokin Z holders and filters?

The good news is you can use a standard 77mm circular filter with no problems... except that a polariser will tend to give different shading to the sky as you have such a wide field of view. The impact of this varies according to the angle of the sum relative to the direction you point but can be very noticeable as I found in Lisbon at the weekend.

Peter
24 Sep 2005 8:42AM
OK, I've had my 10-20 for about 8 hours... and I'm very, VERY happy with it so far!

;o)
24 Sep 2005 9:19AM
Just put some of the files thru C1, and I'm even happier... Getting up for a sunrise tomorrow (assuming there is one!), and then I'll have a proper point of reference...
CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
24 Sep 2005 9:48AM
Thanks all those who has responded!

James, we congratulate you on purchase, and it is desirable excellent pictures! We will necessarily look your portfolio, and we will estimate work of this lens.
Peter, thanks for your detailed comment, already we study your pictures.

Unfortunately, this lens(SIGMA 10-20) for the present is not on sale in Russia. Sad Sad

Malik & Mary.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.