Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Sigma 10-20mm gizzards.

mini670 17 174 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2007 7:54PM
My 10-20mm fell in the river a bit back, totally wiped it out.
The other day i decided, as i always do with non-repairable stuff, to strip it down and see how it works before its lobbed.

Well having stripped it down, many many screws, a couple of broken pound land `watch makers` screwdrivers, and some `ragging` i have not got the foggiest how it works really. It is stupidly complicated and intricate. I was supprised at how much stuff goes in that relatively small casing and the tolerance the components must be manufactured to. The guys who design these lenses must be real cleaver top class engineers.

I was also suprised at the amount of metal used in the construction. Its some kind of alloy that has been cast (looks like investment casting) as some parts to have small air-holes evident. Most cast parts have then been machined real nice, the finish is spot on. I really would love to see the machine that turns these casting down as it would surely be a very very nice piece of kit.

If you fancy looking at a photo i took (incidentally with my new 10-20mm) i have a link that shows all the bits laid out.

Siggy 10-20mm butchered

I could not work out which part was the HSM motor, im guessing it is the large brass ring that has been segmented, but i could not see how it would work at all. The aperature unit was a cool little thing to look at and play with. Also i did not realise that the front element actually has a `flat` on the front, i thought it was a full radius, having never had the oportunity to touch it without fear of knackering the coating.

I can see why these lenses cost 300 squids, and thats a cheap lens compared to some of the nice L lenses (anyone got a knackred L lens that i can diesect? lol)
Steven_Tyrer 14 69 Wales
11 Dec 2007 8:02PM
Thanks now I dont need to strip my 10-20 to see how it works Smile

Steve
phil_24 15 532 2 England
11 Dec 2007 8:15PM
wow...thats amazing!!

How about putting it back together then?! Wink
discreetphoton Plus
17 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2007 8:18PM
Can't see the photo, but I know what you mean. I tried stripping down one that shared a similar fate a while back (not one of mine) and got three elements in and couldn't figure out how to get any further!
Alcor 14 35 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 8:30PM
All i get is this when i try the link, what have i done wrong.
HTTP1.1 STATUS 403 Remote Access to this object forbidden This file cannot be directly accessed from a remote site, but must be linked through the Brinkster Member's site.

I am intruiged to see the lens, so i also wont have to do the same thing to mine.
11 Dec 2007 8:48PM

Quote:All i get is this when i try the link, what have i done wrong.
HTTP1.1 STATUS 403 Remote Access to this object forbidden This file cannot be directly accessed from a remote site, but must be linked through the Brinkster Member's site.

I am intruiged to see the lens, so i also wont have to do the same thing to mine.

Its my bandwidth thats run out. Dont get much at all it seems, must be because its free.

here it is again hosted elsewhere, should be ok i think:

sigma 10-20mm

Smile
Alcor 14 35 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 9:04PM
Thanks for that!! RIP Siggy

Did the insurance cover you for your mishap? (well the river part)
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2007 9:39PM
put in box in spare room then when your new siggy goes belly up..
..you've got some spares!!

Actually the lenses might come in useful for something.
uggyy 16 2.1k 9 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 9:45PM
A lot more there than I would thought too Smile

Hardest jigsaw ever!
11 Dec 2007 9:56PM
yea ill save it as spares.

also saving the lenses, ill find something to do with them.
aye the insurance paid me for it, although i could not find it anywhere for 282 squid, and thats all i insured it for.
nickfrog 14 333
11 Dec 2007 10:13PM
Great post and pic mini670. Thanks, I have one of these (in a more conventionnaly assembled shape thank god) and had no idea of whatwas inside.
kaybee Plus
17 7.9k 26 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 10:19PM
Spares?
Are you expecting bits to go wrong on your new one and not be covered by warranty?
BEVZED 14 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2007 10:23PM
Nope it's not ok Sad neither of them work

EDIT - got it now!

Wow, fascinating, just think of the tools that made the tools to make the tools ..........
fauxtography 16 6.6k 36
11 Dec 2007 10:28PM

Quote:Spares?
Are you expecting bits to go wrong on your new one and not be covered by warranty?

nah he wants to make glasses for Mr Magoo... Smile
11 Dec 2007 11:35PM
Brilliant Tom..!! exactly what I do with 'broken' stuff...nowt to lose, so let's take it apart... might be a widget or two I could use in future....!!
Kevin.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.