ADVERTISEMENT
Shop Amazon's Best Sellers in Camera & Photo

sigma 150-500 on A700

MrDennis Plus
13 308 Wales
26 Apr 2010 1:07PM
Good Day to you All. Is anyone here useing a Sigma 150-500 on their A700??
I recieved mine last week. I'm finding it Very SloooooW to focus on an object and need to know if it is supposed to be faster. By time I focused on a bird in flight it's gone. My old 170-500 felt faster.
so far I have used No.1 & 2 OS on lens and switched it off and tried IS on Camera, All feel the same, Slow!
Once it looks on I'm getting Very good images. Very Frustrated as I was told it's much faster on the AF than the older 170-500.
Used Wide AF & Spot AF in camera, both same, slow.
Any info on this would be Appreciated.
Thincat 15 616
2 May 2010 2:05PM
I guess you've got the A700 set to fast focus - I know that some of the older Sigma lenses (not the 150-500) have tended to strip their gears when used in fast focus mode, so maybe you haven't changed your menu option. The old 170-500 had a few problems when used on the A700 in fast focus mode. Is it possible that Sigma, instead of beefing up the gears, just lowered the gearing? But maybe I'm being too cynical. I have to admit I've read so many problems about Sigma stuff on Sony/Minolta that I tend to stick to Minolta/Sony stuff. You don't get any nasty surprises.
MrDennis Plus
13 308 Wales
30 Jun 2010 2:34AM
Sorry I not been in to answer you. Thanks for your answer.
I had to send the lens back as it was faulty. Too sloooW in focusing.

I now got a Canon 7D and Sigma 150-500mm canon fit. It works a treat. Just got to get use to the 7D now.

Cheers.
Dennis.
MrDennis Plus
13 308 Wales
1 Aug 2010 8:42PM
Well I thought it was working well. Works ok on largish images, but on smaller images it's NAFF (Rubbish)
Too SOFT and unpredictable.
Do NOT buy one until Sigma gets it's act together.
cambirder 19 7.2k England
1 Aug 2010 10:19PM

Quote:Works ok on largish images, but on smaller images it's NAFF (Rubbish)

What do you mean by this? surely the size of the object you are focusing on can't impact on image quality!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.