Sigma 150-600mm sports vs canon 100-400 mm mk2

KevR Plus
5 5 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2016 9:04PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has compared the performance of these two lenses? I've got the sports, but do find it heavy. I was wondering how the canon compares when combined with a x 1.4 converter? Do you retain AF with the 7d2?

Hope someone can help
Kev

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

txstone 4 1 United States
15 Aug 2016 12:30AM
I notice that Bryan Carnatan at the Digital Picture does a summary comparison to the Canon 100-400mm L IS II lens in his review of the Sigma 150-600mm Sports.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6.3-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens.aspx

He says the "Canon easily bests the Sigma in sharpness and contrast..." Adding that if you, "Add a 1.4x to get the Canon up to 560m ... the two lenses have similar image sharpness".

I rented the Canon 100-400mm L IS II lens along with the 7DMkII last year when I was getting impatient with Nikon before they announced the D500. I was super impressed with the quick 7D2 Autofocus paired with the 100-400. A very nice handling lens suitable for hand holding. I posted some sample shots here (See Canon folder)

[link removed by ePz]

David

Philh04 Plus
14 2.2k United Kingdom
15 Aug 2016 10:48AM
The Mark II 100 - 400 is an exceptional lens that is easily the equal in IQ to my 500 f4 IS and has really become my go to lens if I am walking mainly for its versatility, the close focus makes it a good close - up lens too. It works well with the Canon 1.4x extender and will maintain AF on a 7DII body as like the 1 series bodies focus is maintained at f8 on the centre focus point.

The IS is also exceptional, it is the only lens I am happy to hand hold...

The only downside is that it does become an f8 lens with the extender meaning it becomes slower than the Sigma and you need good light, bump the ISO up a bit and that should not be too great a problem, I am happy to do this with my 1DIV body and I understand the 7DII is much better at higher ISO than its predecessor.

HTH
Phil
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2016 6:21PM
Whilst I don't have the Canon 100-400 I understand from friends that is a highly effective performer, I do have and use frequently a Nikon fit Sigma 150-600 Sports lens, the performance is very close to my Nikon 500mm f/4 prime; I somehow doubt that you will be disappointed with either.

Good luck,

Peter.
KevR Plus
5 5 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2016 6:30PM
Thanks everyone

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.