Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Sigma 28-300mm lens

Emmog 10 38 1 England
5 Mar 2009 9:40PM
Hi all,
I have recently had a problem with a Sigma 70-300mm lens and am getting a refund. I have been looking at alternatives and have seen a Sigma 28-300mm lens with macro. I know that the has got a 3:1 ratio but couldn't that be sorted out with a close up filter or something like that?

Does anyone have any experience or other recommendations? I shouldn't really go over about 170 and my camera is a Nikon D1X

Thanks for the help
Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bfgstew 13 668 105 England
5 Mar 2009 10:13PM
I have the same lens, and you rightly say it is a 3:1 ratio so not a true macro, but it will do. You may be better off either saving a bit more a going for a true macro, the 105 is a good lens, or try going for a second hand one, either way you will get better results as adding close up filters will drastically reduce the performance of the 28-300, hope this helps.
Stewart
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 8:07AM
Thanks fot the help. I would like tosave up but I would need one quite quickly as I have ost my sigma 70-300mm for nearly two months. It's very frustrating as I can't buy a new lens until the company re-emberses us.
Thanks
Matt
mcgannc 10 389 3 England
6 Mar 2009 10:21AM
I own the 28-300. Must say I've struggled with it and been quite dissapointed with some of the results. The lack of any stabilisation means that you really need to use it with a tripod so does not really do as a walkabout lens - hence why I've just bought a Canon 17-85mm IS lens, which although was 100 more expensive, it's well worth it. I would say you would be best trying to pick up a higher quality used lens if your budget is tight. I got a new 17-85 from SRSMicrosystems and it worked out to be about 100 cheaper than anywhere else so maybe worth looking to see what they've got for your Nikon.

Hope this helps,

Chris
MalcolmS Plus
14 1.2k 13 England
6 Mar 2009 12:06PM
You could try the Sigma 18-200mm which is stabilised and gives reasonably good results for the price
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 1:36PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the help. I will have a look at SRSMicrosystems and the Sigma 18-300mm lens. Does anyone know anything about some of the similar priced Tamron lenses? I have been told that Tamron are a good manufacture but my budget isn't the best. I can't buy anything moer than about 180 (ish).
Thanks
Matt
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 1:52PM
I have been looking at the Sigma 18-200mm lens for Nikon on SRSMicrosystems and have found it for about 180. Before I ask to buy it I would like to know if it is a good lens. I am looking at the lens without the OS as it is cheaper.

Also are SRSMicrosystems a England based company and are they good dealers?

Thanks for the help
Matt
mcgannc 10 389 3 England
6 Mar 2009 1:56PM
Can't comment on the lens as not used it. SRS are based in England. Delivery is very good - I placed the order for mine at about 1:30pm on a Monday afternoon, and was attaching the lens to my camera the next day at 11am. What I would say though is to make sure this is the lens you want - see if there is anyone local who will let you try one out (maybe somewhere like Jessops might have one you can have a look at), and only when you're sure it's the lens for you then place the order.
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 2:00PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I do have a local Jessops and I will enquire about the lens. But what is it that i need to look out for? Is it the reach? The build quality? I have never tried out a lens. I just bought a couple of starter lenses from the internet.

Also is this lens a good one for doing things like Christenings and the odd wildife shot at close range?

Thanks for the help
Matt
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 2:04PM
Matt it is easy in a way.

First the simple test, divide the maximum focal length by the minimum focal length. If the result is greater than 4 its is probably too much of a compromise so walk away.

What you need to look out for, slow AF, distortion chromatic aberration. In short the sigma 70-300 APO MKII is the far better lens (make certain it is the APO version). So if you had one before why not get another. If its optical performance was not good, then the megazooms will only be worse.
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 2:15PM
Hi,
It was a Sigma 70-300mm macro lens that i had before. It wasn't the APO version. Would it be worth looking at them both and choosing which one fulfils the things that i would like it for?

What will disortion appear like? Will it make everything look weird and odd?

Thanks for the help.
Matt
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 3:13PM
Ah I see. Would that 100mm make much of a difference for portraits and the odd wildlife shot?
Thanks for the help
Matt
MalcolmS Plus
14 1.2k 13 England
6 Mar 2009 7:13PM
My partner uses the 18-200mm stabilised lens, she previously had the non-stabilised version. She only changed so she could use it in lower light conditions.

Look here if you want to see some of the results on both a canon 450D and earlier on a 350D
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 7:37PM
Hi all,
I have decided that the extra 100mm means a little to me. I have been out today and bought myself a Tamron 70-300mm lens because it was in the price range and I liked it when I had a play with it. Ocassionally however I found that it got stuck in macro a bit so I am going to save up for a proper macro lens and use that instead of the macro inbuilt as it has got a close focus distance of about 95cm. Not great I believe for macro.

Thanks for everyones help. It did help
Matt
Emmog 10 38 1 England
6 Mar 2009 8:51PM
I think that it will serve me just aswell as the sigma 70-300mm APO sigma lens. It felt better than the Sigma 70-300mm lens (Not the APO). Still only time will tell!
Matt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.