Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

Sigma 500mm f4.5 - why no protective filter for front element?

2 May 2014 9:07AM
I have acquired a used Sigma 500mm f4.5 last year but only manage to get it out in the field recently. It works pretty well with my D7000 but coupled with a 1.4x Kenko TC, the IQ appears soft. So, now I only use the lens without the TC. My concern now is the front element with no protective filter. Any advice?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage Plus
14 576 United Kingdom
2 May 2014 9:41AM
Do you mean a UV filter? If so you can buy one and put it on. I personally never use a filter on any my lenses although I did happen to have one on a lens at the time I dropped it and the only thing that was damaged was the filter.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
2 May 2014 10:56AM
The big telephoto lenses often have a protective front element built in to the lens, at least some Canon lenses do, I'm assuming the Sigma may be similar.
GarethRobinson 12 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
2 May 2014 11:22AM
Have never put any filter on the end of my sigma 120-300mm 2.8 and never had a problem the hood does the job. As far as the tc goes use a sigma 1.4tc and it will stay sharp.
HUFC 5 1.0k United Kingdom
2 May 2014 12:18PM
I bought a UV filter for my Sigma 50-500, 95mm Filter 77 from Picsio on Amazon
2 May 2014 1:04PM
The front diameter is too large...Just received a reply from Sigma rep:

Due to lens design of the 500 F4.5, the front element is very large and therefore filters are only available at the smaller rear end.

To protect your investment :
a. Always have blower for initiations and very clean dry cloth (from photo shops) to wipe away any undesirable stains or water spots.

b. Always send the lens to our service centre for lens checking and front element dust / stain cleaning once in 3 to 4 months to ensure optimum performance of your lens.

As for protecting the lens when shooting in the field, we need lens user to exercise discretions at this point of time.
Like most outdoor photo enthusiasts, protector covers would be the next better choice to shield the front element.
My personal recommendation is to have lenshood LH1236-01 mounted on at all times that will offer both shielding as well as stray lights blocking.

I just posted some photos to http://sigma500mmf45.blogspot.com
Evertonian 6 729 England
14 Jul 2014 11:18AM
Perhaps the sigma 1.4X TC will work better, I use one on a Sigma 70-250 f2.8 lens and in this combination it is fine.

The lens accepts a 77mm filter even though it is f2.8
I had the same problem - SRB Photographic at Dunstable srb-photographic.co.uk made me a bespoke filter step ring to fix to the non standard (circa 126mm) lens end thread to take 127mm filters which are a standard size fitting - the step ring sits inside the sliding lens hood so this remains in use - well worth the money
altitude50 15 15.2k United Kingdom
4 Mar 2017 10:38AM
Have you thought about a 'plain' glass protection filter made by B+W. Very expensive, but probably the best that you can get.
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
4 Mar 2017 11:19AM
Surely a hood is better than a filter at keeping the front of the lens free of dust or rain? As for sending the lens back to Sigma for checking and cleaning every 3 or 4 months, that can surely only be for pros using the lens in adverse conditions every day?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.