Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM

tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2005 6:56PM
Does anyone own/use this lens, and if so have any photo's taken with it on their portfolio that i can go look at?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
23 Nov 2005 8:06PM
No, nobody in their right mind would want one of those !

Spend about twice as much and get one of these !
suleesia 15 176 Malaysia
23 Nov 2005 10:48PM
I don't have one but I'd like to own one even if it's the Sigma.
Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2005 11:33PM
The Sigma is (IMHO) a cracking lens and works fine with the new Canon 5D. A number in my portfolio are taken with it. (Although all in the portfolio are scanned from film - not digital).

including (probably not much use to you at screen resolution)

this

and this

Although I do have a couple of secondhand canon L lenses; I really can't get too excited about the 'must have lens'. The Sigma does the job fine. That's all I need.
gemm 16 800 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2005 11:40PM
I used to use one (before I switched to Canon) and I do rate it very high. Not as sharp as Canon at f2.8, but still a very sharp lens. All these shots were taken with it with 1.4x EX converter).
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2005 11:49PM
I love mine...most of my recent portfolio work taken using it.
elikag 15 749
24 Nov 2005 12:59AM
I don't own my self, but this guy , at first, wasn't happy. These shots were shot at f2.8.
Nontheless, next day he was shooting motocross event and was really happy with it's performance at f4 and smaller. He reported that the lens is very fast at focusing and had no trouble tracking the bikes.

HTH,
Ilia Kagan
Marlin_owner 15 658 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2005 1:22AM
Very happy with mine.

Problem is that I haven't had too much to use it for recently.
Andy_Britten Junior Member 14 96 England
24 Nov 2005 3:27AM
Delighted with mine. My only issue is in my skill as a photographer is not up to the quality of the lens which is superb as is the 24-60mm 2.6 apo. Have fun.
Andrew
24 Nov 2005 6:58AM
i was looking at it as an upgrade to my ($200) Quantaray 70-300 and wondered if i'd notice the difference in quality, looking at the photo's in the links here i would think it's worth doing. i was told by a local dealer that the sigma EX range is as good as or better than a lot of main brand lenses, i'd like to see a report of this one stacked up against the Canon and Nikon equivelent though, i would think in most cases you gets what you pays for.

thanks for your time people.
shed 16 586 England
24 Nov 2005 9:55AM
Whilst I haven't got one, I did have a play with one that my friend has got. Tried it on a 5D and the lens is fantastic. Really quick autofocus and silent too. The image quality is nice an crisp, couldn't detect any CA. When used with the 5D the handling is superb.

Characterboats, maybee tepot hasn't got twice as much?

Anyways, try the lens and see what you think, because I was really impressed.

I think that perhaps some people are too expecting of equipment, yes it costs a lot but it ain't gonna be 'perfect' no lens is. Anyways you pays your money....

Hope this helps.

Andrew
24 Nov 2005 10:17AM
i will get this then, when i have the pennies, i want to use it at zoos etc so i would like a fast lens.

i can't justify spending the extra cash just to have the Nikon label on my lens.

cheers Andy.
Snapper_T 16 867 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2005 6:42PM
This lens has received very good reviews. I considered this to replace my 75-300 4.5-5.6, but then opted for a cheaper option and bought a s/hand 70-210 f/4 to save even more pennies and as an experiment to see how the 70-210 performed. So far I'm very pleased.

I don't think you can beat the value of the Sigma. I think you will enjoy it.
Trev
2 Dec 2005 6:53AM
ok i did it....i bought the lens. it is very heavy and has a tripod mount, the auto focus is very fast and extremely quiet, the build quality is outstanding, i can't wait to get out and use the thing now. overall i am very happy with my purchase so far.

hats off to Sigma Smile
Marlin_owner 15 658 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2005 7:46AM
Good choice, now have fun!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.