Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS Version - Sharpness

Nigeyboy 11 927 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2016 3:06PM
Hi all,

Looking at possibly getting this lens in the future. I can't afford the Canon version, so this Sigma seems to fit the bill.

I have a question about sharpness though. I have read a few reviews that state it is a little soft wide open, especially at the lower end of the zoom. I realise that a lot of these reviewers shot test cards etc, but I was looking for feedback from those of you that have this lens, and how you feel it performs in everyday usage.

I would primarily use it for portraits, and shooting football matches.

Any feedback, good or bad is welcomed!!

Thanks all

Nige

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

12 Aug 2016 3:35PM
I have the non-os version of this lens and it is ok regarding sharpness. I also have the 1.4x sigma teleconverter which degrades the image somewhat but it is still usable with a little sharpening in post processing.

I have no experience of the os version but i would imagine it would be slightly better in terms of picture quality.
tpfkapm 8 266 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2016 3:40AM
1 thought- get the canon ef 70 - 300 L IS - can be picked up for around £900 ( or cheaper) or the ef 70 200 f4 IS L . Both cracking lenses and the latter takes a 1.4 converter very well
GGAB Plus
3 31 United States
14 Aug 2016 4:41AM
Just adding my $0.02 worth. I was looking for a 70-200 lens last fall. I looked into the Sigma and Tamron. I also could not afford the Canon L.
I ended up buying the Tamron. I use it along with a Canon 7D shooting youth soccer (sorry football) matches and wildlife. The reviews put it on par with the latest Canon 70-200 L lens.
Just a thought.
George
15 Aug 2016 9:41AM
@tpfkapm – Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking at the 70-300 L, however I think that while it would be good for the sports side of things (as long as it is fairly light when I shoot – as 5.6 is quite slow), I am not sure it would fill the portrait part very well. The Canon 70-200 f4 is indeed a great lens and may well have a look at it.

@Gabriel_Photography – thanks as well for responding. I have read good things about the Tamron 70-200. The only thing putting me off, is the zoom ring works opposite to my current lenses! Small thing I know, but it would annoy me when shooting a match, and I turn the ring the wrong way!!

Guess I am looking a ‘Jack of all Trades’ in the lens – wanted f2.8 for the speed, and also for the DoF when shooting portraits . . . . .
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
15 Aug 2016 11:03AM
Lenses that are softer wide open tend to have that softness at the edges of the frame. Soft edges are something many would find unacceptable for shooting architecture, landscapes etc. For portraits it might not be a problem - almost an advantage for certain framing.

Anyway if your camera has plenty of megapixels to play with then you can shoot less tight at f2.8 (cropping later on pc). This gives you a longer apparent reach and lets you avoid using the edges.

Unsure about whether the reviews you saw tested it on a crop camera or a full frame, the latter being more unforgiving and you might find it's not as relevant on your own camera body.

There are over two dozen real world reviews of the Sigma 2.8 here and they seem pretty happy

tpfkapm 8 266 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2016 9:12PM
Second thought
The aspect of IQ that gets overlooked in reviews is the keeper rate and the af speed and accuracy- worth a thought before shelling money out

Most lenses are capable of good images but othe factors creep in -

Not seen any realistic review that says the sigma is as sharp as the canon 2.8 L MK2 IS- maybe wrong though
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Aug 2016 9:18PM
The Sigma is half the price but much better than half as good.
16 Aug 2016 9:08AM
Thanks for all your thoughts - they are helping me decide what to do. While I would love the Canon 70-200 f2.mk II (or even a used mk I!!), they are out of my budget lol!!

I am mong more toward the Sigma, and the other reviews I have read seem to say the lens is very good in most aspects. And for half the price of the Canon it has to be a winner!
GGAB Plus
3 31 United States
18 Aug 2016 11:33PM
@tpfkapm
I had referenced the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC.
I look to DXOMARK for unbiased reviews based on data and not opinion.
If you do a search of the Canon Lens and The Tamron lens mentioned above, I think you will be surprised.
The Sigma scores a fair amount below the Tamron and Canon.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tamron-SP-70-200mm-f2.8-Di-VC-USD-Canon-review-Excellent-Value-and-a-Great-All-Rounder

Good Luck with your decision.
George

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.