Regatta Offer: Save 15% on 'Top Picks' With Code TP15

Sigma 70-300 close up pics with add-on filters?

leedsgh 17 496 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2004 12:47PM
Has anyone got a sample pic they could forward me using the add on filter to the Sigma 70-300mm lens?

I wanna see how good they are before I buy one.

If not, could anyone tell me what kind of magnification I can get with the different lenses?

To clarify, Im after a lens add on which will achieve close-up photography. As close as taking pics of your fingerprints.

Any ideas / advise?!

PS using a Nikon D70.

Thanks

Gav
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2004 4:38PM
Gav, check out THIS

I took you at your word, this is my forefinger taken at 300mm, macro setting, with the AML lens screwed in. Straight from the camera (shot in RAW) & hand-held (in my other hand just possible at full stretch!)

Brian
loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2004 5:35PM
Gav - full sized image of a two-pence piece. Straight out of the camera - D70 + Sigma 70-300 APO + AML add-on. Shot in NEF format, opened and saved as JPEG with Nikon Capture 4. The only thing I've done with it is set the colour balance to tungsten. No sharpening or any other processing carried out.

Feel free to copy and play around with it.
17 Jul 2004 4:11PM
Guys,

thanks for the help... Much appreciated.

Any idea what price Im lookin at for an AML add-on? + Are they available in different magnifications?

Excuse my ignorance on this one, but then again, if I knew what I was on about, I wouldnt need to ask online!!

Gav
loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2004 4:18PM
See this thread.

I saw them at Castle Cameras for 39.00 but someone saw them at Jessops for 29.99

I'm not sure if Sigma do different magnifications. I think you can get Hoya and the like in different strengths but I wouldn't like to say how they would work with the Sigma lenses.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2004 6:47PM
Gav, the AML comes in just one version but as "loweskid" said, you can get a set of Hoya Close Up Filters for probably much the same price as the AML. The set usually includes in 1, 2 & 4 dioptre (from memory) giving you the option to combine to get different magnifications.

I picked up the AML on Friday, I'm not sure yet how I feel about the results. Need more work to judge I reckon. (I've used the CU filters in the past and got very reasonable results from them).

Brian
18 Jul 2004 8:54AM
cheers again lads!!!
much appreciated

Gav
Flashman 19 156
18 Jul 2004 8:28PM
Are we talking a 58mm screw on close up attachment, I have one but I think I've only used it a couple of times, I still use a film camera
18 Jul 2004 9:22PM
Flashman,

You stepped in 2 mins too late!

Ive just ordered one based on these guys recommendations!

Were you after selling me it?!

Gav
joggievs 17 3
21 Jul 2004 6:49PM
Hi Gav

I know I'm late. Enjoy the ad-on - I'm sure you will soon graduate to the real thing - then go for the Nikor 100mm Micro - a super lens with outstanding quality and beautifull colour balance.

Joggie
22 Jul 2004 11:50AM
Cheers Joggie!

Nice images on your profile. How close did you physically have to get in order to get those kinds of close up images?

I remember taking close up pics whilst I was at uni and having to get so close to the subject matter that you had to use a ring flash to avoid casting shadows over the subject. Im assuming this isn't the case now what with digital technology?

Additionally, how much did you spend on the Nikkor 100mm Micro?

Thanks again.

Gav

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.