Sigma or Nikon

779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2019 11:37AM
Hi - just thought I would ask for your opinions. I am thinking about buying a 14-24mm and have been trying to work out which is better between the Nikon and Sigma. I have watched a review on YouTube and felt at the end of it the Sigma was maybe a little better and its certainly cheaper.

I was wondering if anyone had used either or both and what you thought. Is the Nikon lens worth the extra money?

I would be using it mostly for music photography if that has any bearing on your comments.

Thank you in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

emmaK22 Plus
8 147 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2019 12:36PM
Hi 779HOB,

Here is our review of the Nikon lens and sample photos with the Sigma lens, which might help you with your decision:

Nikon 14-24mm review

Sigma 14-24mm sample photos

Thanks

Emma
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2019 2:46PM
I own the Nikon. It is built like a tank but is still a 12 year old optical design.
There is a Nikon upgrade coming - but in Z mount.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
22 Aug 2019 5:33PM
That Nikon 14-24mm is one of the "holy trinity" and so has been designed to withstand hard professional use. Such lenses tend to keep their performance into old age.

I've only ever owned one Sigma lens, the 15-30mm, and that was soon giving me soft pictures. My wife grew so sick of hearing my complaints that she bought me a Nikon lens to replace it!
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2019 1:29PM
Thanks for the comments. I am borrowing a sigma this weekend to give it a try. I watched this review earlier - doesn't real make the decision easier! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltQnWij0IUc
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
23 Aug 2019 3:09PM
I'd suggest that the choice should depend on the amount of use that the lens is likely to get.

You only get the benefit of Nikon durability if your lens has a lot of hard use or if you intend to keep it for some time because Nikon optics tend to hold their value. Many professional photographers (like me) are careful with their kit but I have yet to encounter an assistant who shares this attitude.

If you're an enthusiast, I'd suggest buying the lens that you find nicer to use.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.