Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Simple Pointers for film developing Required

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 7:23PM
My grandad has recently given all his old film cmera's which range from the brownie (i've already got the nack of using the 120 film reel, as oroginal was 620) to 35 mm film, and slide camera.

To cut a long story short i have a Plustek scanner to transfer current film and transparencies to digital then i found a load of 620/120 roll and bought a Canoscanner 9000F.

Given that i have the equipment to turn a developed film into print, i would like to start developing the film my self, as it was a 17 to have 1 120 film developed with prints.

What i'd like to know is what equipment and chemicals i would need, and would i be able to do BW as well as colour.

I have done film processing when i was at school, that was like 15 years ago and my memory is lacking.

Thanks for any advice

Dan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
18 Nov 2010 8:50PM
Yes, you can do b/w & colour. All you need are a developing tank, thermometer, a dark room to load the films in the tank (or a changing bag) plus the appropriate chemicals.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
18 Nov 2010 9:02PM
This guide I wrote when the site first started should help Developing black and white films
let me know if you have any questions
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 9:03PM
See thread here , which links to a technique section and some other threads on the topic

Edit: well - links to the same technique section Pete has actually Smile
pentaxpete 15 676 1 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2010 8:01PM
Nearly fainted reading it cost him 17 for B&W developing and printing ! Should have sent film to me -- I do B&W films for 1-50 a roll + SAE and you get the negs and a contact sheet !
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Nov 2010 11:57PM
Developing your own is fun and B&W is fairly straightforward. Colour is a bit more difficult as more chemicals are involved and temperatures and times are more critical.

But unless you really want the fun of doing it, a good option is the "develop and scan" service offered by many labs. The main benefit is exactly controlled processing and very high quality scanning (much better than you could do with an average "home" scanner). Expect to pay about 8 for C41 colour and B&W and 10 for non-C41 B&W (i.e. traditional B&W) for developing, scanning and the provision of your scans on a CD. (for 120 roll film)

Oddly enough, I was just reminiscing with a friend today about the days when we bought our developer in cardboard cartons containing 6 sachets of powder and the fixer came in a wee tin like a Cremola Foam tin (you had to be careful not to get them mixed up. The fixer tasted horrible!)

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 12:04AM
Thanks guys, i'd be interest in your service pentaxpete.......yeap was 17 at Jessops, or it may of been 17 for colour 120 film, and a 10 for B &W.

As mention for develop and scan i would say that is expensive given tha the Cananoscan 9000f is more than an average home sanner, however i'll bear that in mind.

Dan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.