Christmas Prize Draw 2017

size

gashead 11 44 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2018 2:22AM
Hi, Probably a silly question but here goes: I don't have a printer. Usually go to a local store or send them off. What I like to know is how do I get square prints?? Do I have to do something in my DSLR ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 14 13.6k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2018 7:42AM
I would suggest using some form of editing tool,which will allow you to frame your images in any form you want.
if you don't have some form of photoshop , elements, lightroom, etc. then there is probably something else by Windows built into your computer. Or download a free editing tool.
The wasteful way would be to get your rectangular prints made and cut them to size (unless you want white borders.)
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
12 Mar 2018 10:47AM

Quote:I would suggest using some form of editing tool,which will allow you to frame your images in any form you want.

I'm not sure that printers and almost certainly not local stores will even stock square paper.
If you're hoping to print square images on paper that's cut to (for example) 6x4, then it might be an idea to prepare your images to the chosen format first.
In other words, open your square image in the editor of your choice and add blank canvas to it it to take up the space that's left over, then save he result as (again, for example) 6x4 then have it printed as such.
You'll just need to cut off the spare bit.
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2018 11:53AM
This is a difficult subject to comment on.
Most "local stores" and low cost labs may only know how to press a button to get an oblong shape print Sad
If you know a local store with a printing set-up where you can talk to the staff they can give you guidance as to what is possible with their equipment.
altitude50 14 13.6k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2018 12:10PM
I know that CEWE will print square, but the only size seems to be 14.5 x 14.5 cm !
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
12 Mar 2018 2:31PM
I am having a little bit of a problem in understanding exactly what you require. Most cameras take an oblong shaped image, which is what I am assuming you have, until now, had printed. That oblong shape cannot be changed to a square without distorting the image. To crop a square from any image you need software, so having cropped your square and then taken it to a printer is it not being printed as a square? I would have thought that if you give the printers a square image, that they would print that square. If you then wish to mount that image or display it in someway as a square then the paper that is not printed on should be cut off.

As far as I am aware there are no cameras in the general catalogue of cameras which actually take square images - but my knowledge is limited.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
12 Mar 2018 2:45PM
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/05/22/5-square-format-cameras-youll-love-to-get-your-hands-on/

These are square format cameras and it is possible to download software to your phone which can create a square format, but I am guessing that your digital camera cannot be converted.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2018 5:16PM
Tony, when you shoot your images imagine a square as you frame. After printing them use a guillotine, or ask the shop, to chop off the sides to square the print.

Some cameras will allow you to change the aspect ratio but you will lose some resolution. Have a look here for your Nikon

Most photo software, paid and free, will allow you to crop your image so that it's square.

Many photobook companies offer square format books and their website's software allows you to crop your photos when you order the books.

andart 16 512 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2018 11:26AM

Quote:As far as I am aware there are no cameras in the general catalogue of cameras which actually take square images - but my knowledge is limited.

Panasonic and Olympus M43 cameras allow you to choose 1:1 aspect ratio - giving a square image.
pablophotographer 7 1.0k 339
13 Mar 2018 11:58PM

Quote:
Quote:As far as I am aware there are no cameras in the general catalogue of cameras which actually take square images - but my knowledge is limited.

Panasonic and Olympus M43 cameras allow you to choose 1:1 aspect ratio - giving a square image.

Canon does that too in some models (and surprisingly 4;3 and 16:9), Ricoh offers 1:1 too on the GR

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.