Sky Replacement & Truck Removal

Tallmanirl 7 301 Ireland
19 Oct 2021 9:13PM
Hi guys!
I use Photoshop CC on a Windows 10 laptop. I have two queries re this photo. I want to replace the sky and know how to do that for the main part of the sky here using the sky replacement tool. However, how do I get it to select the sky under the arches?

Also, what might be the best way of removing the truck and it's reflection in the water?

Regards,

Fergal.257670_1634674378.jpg
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
19 Oct 2021 10:23PM
Before you open the sky replacement tool, go to 'Select' on the top toolbar and select 'Sky' from the dropdown.
The resulting mask should include the areas beneath the bridge.
Then use the sky replacement tool while that selection still active.
That way, you should (no guarantees!) find that your replacement sky fills the gaps and because it's only acting upon the area of sky which you've selected, there will be no bleeding over the parts of the image that you want left as they are.
Once your sky's in place (and still selected) you can modify/edit it as you choose without your edits affecting the rest of the image and by inverting the selection (Selection>invert from the toolbar) you can do the same to the non-sky parts without affecting the new sky.
When you're happy with it, go back to 'Select' and choose erm, 'Deselect' to remove the selection.

It's a bit tricky to see the truck in that image as it's so small but it appears to have only trees behind it. I'd probably clone it.
Tallmanirl 7 301 Ireland
20 Oct 2021 12:05AM
Thanks Jester,
The issue re the sky is that the select sky option doesnít include the sky under the bridge.

You might be right about the truck, but itís behind a low wall, but will try cloning. I actually might even go back there.😀

Regards,

Fergal.
mrswoolybill Plus
15 3.0k 2465 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2021 8:31AM
Why not upload this to the Critique Gallery for suggestions?

The truck and its reflection can be easily removed using the clone tool, but it's easier to work on a larger file than the forum image. There are other changes that I would prioritise - a small anti-clockwise rotation to straighten the central column, get rid of the dust bunny in the sky, work to extract a bit more detail from the view.

I wonder why you want to replace the sky? A plain clear sky is a good backdrop to the landscape, it doesn't compete with it for attention. I would crop off around half of it though. If you replace it, make sure that the light direction etc in the replacement sky corresponds with the view, otherwise it will just look false.

But put this in the Critique Gallery and you will receive advice there.
Regards,
Moira
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
20 Oct 2021 9:40AM
Does Photoshop have the equivalent of Capture One's Magic Brush for making a selection ?

In C1 you could get the selection that you are looking for and of it did overspill a little the Eraser could be used to remove it
20 Oct 2021 9:59AM

Quote:Thanks Jester,
The issue re the sky is that the select sky option doesnít include the sky under the bridge.

It doesn't, does it!?

88694_1634720226.jpg

Installed a sky at random then used the magic wand to select the bits beneath the bridge and the eyedropper and paint bucket to fill them with sky from directly above. The filled in bits need tidying up but you'll get the idea.

Probably not ideal but it works.

Tallmanirl 7 301 Ireland
20 Oct 2021 10:03AM
Thanks guys!😀
20 Oct 2021 10:04AM

Quote:Does Photoshop have the equivalent of Capture One's Magic Brush for making a selection ?

In C1 you could get the selection that you are looking for and of it did overspill a little the Eraser could be used to remove it

There's a paintbrush tool which does a similar job but I've never been able to make it work on the sky replacement tool.

In fact, that tool comes with its own masks and brushes but I've never been able to get them to work either!

Tallmanirl 7 301 Ireland
20 Oct 2021 10:25AM
Thanks for that Moira.
However, the columns are actually that way in real life. It closed to rail traffic in 1937 so maybe there has been subsidence since then.😀

Quote:Why not upload this to the Critique Gallery for suggestions?

The truck and its reflection can be easily removed using the clone tool, but it's easier to work on a larger file than the forum image. There are other changes that I would prioritise - a small anti-clockwise rotation to straighten the central column, get rid of the dust bunny in the sky, work to extract a bit more detail from the view.

I wonder why you want to replace the sky? A plain clear sky is a good backdrop to the landscape, it doesn't compete with it for attention. I would crop off around half of it though. If you replace it, make sure that the light direction etc in the replacement sky corresponds with the view, otherwise it will just look false.

But put this in the Critique Gallery and you will receive advice there.
Regards,
Moira

mrswoolybill Plus
20 Oct 2021 10:35AM
The magic wand is the way I would go - except that I would not do this, Jester's modification illustrates why. The sky looks completely wrong against the reflection in the river. A sky reflected in water would normally be around 10% darker than the actual sky, not lighter.

This is the problem that you face...

PS Check out the notorious 'Two suns over Lindisfarne' story... The photographer changed the sky because the original sky was 'a bit boring', and was stripped of the Take a View win when the image was ridiculed online.
Tallmanirl 7 301 Ireland
20 Oct 2021 10:50AM
Interesting! I didnít know about the reflection in the river needing to be darker!😀

Quote:The magic wand is the way I would go - except that I would not do this, Jester's modification illustrates why. The sky looks completely wrong against the reflection in the river. A sky reflected in water would normally be around 10% darker than the actual sky, not lighter.

This is the problem that you face...

PS Check out the notorious 'Two suns over Lindisfarne' story... The photographer changed the sky because the original sky was 'a bit boring', and was stripped of the Take a View win when the image was ridiculed online.

mrswoolybill Plus
20 Oct 2021 10:52AM

Quote:Interesting! I didnít know about the reflection in the river needing to be darker!😀

A photographer's eyes are a much more important tool than Photoshop... Wink
mrswoolybill Plus
20 Oct 2021 11:16AM
Suggestions:

Dust blob removed;
Straightened using Skew;
2/3 stop added exposure - we are not seeing Exif but this needed a plus exposure compensation, as photographing into the light;
Shadows lifted - in particular this brings out the reflections bottom left;
Truck and its reflection cloned out;
Cropped to get rid of excess empty space - this is about the view not the sky.

Question: Does it actually need anything more? That's up to you.

51734_1634724896.jpg
20 Oct 2021 11:24AM

Quote:The magic wand is the way I would go - except that I would not do this, Jester's modification illustrates why. The sky looks completely wrong against the reflection in the river. A sky reflected in water would normally be around 10% darker than the actual sky, not lighter.

As I've said, I used a sky at random, simply to illustrate how the magic wand could be used to fill in the gaps.
I never claimed it was a finished article.
Adding a decent reflection's a step farther.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.