Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Slide in filter system

igknight 6 30 United States
29 Nov 2011 3:51PM
I have many filters by B&W and Hoya for my lenses, but am starting to get sick of buying the same filters for the different size lenses. I currently have 4 different sizes, 52, 56, 62, and an 86mm (not as concerned about filters for this lens).

I know I can just buy the bigger filter size and get a step up ring or two, but I would like to go with the slide in filter. I currently would like to get a gradient nd filter, and I think it would work better with being able to pick exactly where the gradient nd is set in on the horizon.

What should I be looking for in a good system?
How much of a difference does it make by using a resin filter vs a glass filter?
What companies should I be looking into for a good system?

While price is a concern, I would rather spend the money and get quality now then having to buy the same filters again.

Any help is appreciated.


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
8 8.0k 33 Norway
29 Nov 2011 4:22PM
I have a mixture of Lee & Cokin Z series. Can't fault either for quality. And the Z's fit in the Lee filter holder.
29 Nov 2011 4:28PM
i use cokin filters (the p system is probably a little too small for the 86mm lense) A cheaper option is Kood who do some respectible filters for their price
mikehit 8 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2011 5:01PM
I use HiTech filters in a Lee wide angle holder, but I only use them for ND grads - I had the screw-in polarisers I needed before I got those.
igknight 6 30 United States
29 Nov 2011 5:30PM
Thanks. I was looking at the Lee and Cokin filters, but I kinda like the HiTech ones too. From what I have seen, Lee and HiTech have more filters for their systems.

One thing I don't like about Lee are the holders. I can't seem to find any from the places I visit online to order from (sure there are some that have them in stork or know when they will be). I assume that with Lee you have to buy each part separately? One of the books I was looking at was talking about a hold that has 4-5 slots for filters, one being able to turn for a CP filter. I like the idea of that, but all I could find are parts online. I get the adapter ring having to be bought outside of the holder, but all I seem to find are foundation kits , and all out of stock.

I'll have to take some time and go to my local camera shop and hope they have some of these systems in stock, or someone that knows about them to talk with.

Thanks again.
sitan1 Plus
9 1.2k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2011 6:33PM
Amazon have all these in stock
lee filters

At the bottom of the page it shows the foundation kit, adapter ring and polariser adapter as a set.
igknight 6 30 United States
29 Nov 2011 6:50PM
Unfortunately I'm in the US, the only one that has it on Amazon's US site has a 77mm adapter with it for roughly 133, compared to the just the foundation kit you linked to for 53.95.

I'll just have to check out other online stores and my local shop when I get out there. I'm more in the looking and comparing part before I take the leap. But thanks.
29 Nov 2011 9:44PM
why cant you get the high tec holder - much the same as the LEE kit with the exception of a larger gap between first filter slot and holder body ( i beleive)
bfgstew 11 668 105 England
29 Nov 2011 10:02PM
You can always make one, I did, maybe not as pretty as a manafactured one but it does the job.


You can also add more slots as required, if need be.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.