Slower and slower

Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
20 Mar 2017 4:00PM
Ditched both of those and now use Microsoft Security essentials. Not having any problems as yet.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
20 Mar 2017 5:04PM
Been using that for a couple years Jas, and, knock on wood, smooth sailing so far. It seems to be the least intrusive of all I've ever tried, apart from updating once in awhile, I would never know it's there.Smile
karl 16 652 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2017 11:34PM
Hi,

Could the people that are/were having problems please shout up and let us know if you're still having them or not?

Thanks,

Karl
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
23 Mar 2017 9:16AM
My speed problem seems to have been resolved. SmileSmileSmile
KarenFB Plus
13 5.3k 174 England
23 Mar 2017 10:07AM
It may be a coincidence, but my computer hasn't asked me to stop a programme working today! Smile
dathersmith 12 564 12 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2017 1:42PM
Slower than it's ever been for me today! Over the last 12 months to be honest it's been a bit of a chore navigating around the site and I think my visits will become more infrequent if things don't improve.

Not sure if it's connected but I got the following message a few times this morning as I tried to log on:

User ephotozine already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Regards

Darren.
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
24 Mar 2017 1:42PM

Quote:My speed problem seems to have been resolved. SmileSmileSmile

Spoke too soon. SadSadSadSadSadSad
mrswoolybill Plus
13 1.7k 2095 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2017 1:56PM
Still intermittent for me. It will work reasonably well (though not really fast) for a while, then it will stick on a page.
24 Mar 2017 10:02PM
OK with me now.
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
25 Mar 2017 11:00AM
It's OK for me at the moment. My experience is that the problems are quite unpredictable. I do use Avast but I have no problems with other websites.
karl 16 652 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2017 11:20AM

Quote:It's OK for me at the moment. My experience is that the problems are quite unpredictable. I do use Avast but I have no problems with other websites.

The problems with Avast/AVG Web Shield depend on certain circumstances being met:

1) The website uses SSL

2) The website makes use of HTTP/2 - which is a few years old now, but a more modern, and faster re-work of the HTTP protocol

Avast/AVG has a system where they pretend to be the website you're visiting with SSL such as your bank, Facebook, this site etc. and intercepts your traffic which should be encrypted and protected all the way to the websites servers to protect your data and privacy. They intercept it and look at it, which is great if you those AV products don't have problems, but they do, some of them quite serious over the years and this issue with SSL and HTTP2 has been going on for years and years with no sign of them getting to grips with it. There are threads all over the internet about it affecting many big name sites, some of it is slowdowns, some of it is the site just not loading at all at times.

Unfortunately EPZ is caught in the middle of that and there's nothing it can do about it - apart from slow the website down for everyone by dropping HTTP/2 or by decreasing security by dropping SSL.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Mar 2017 6:03PM
Microsoft Essentials is the most efficient and least noticeable security program I've ever used. Anything else has slowed my PC, interrupted what I've been doing with ads or info that means nothing to me. It's also free, why mess with a good thing?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.