Christmas Prize Draw 2017

SLPOTY under pressure

sherlob Plus
12 3.0k 129 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2018 10:10PM
Judging by some recent social media reports I have seen, it seems not all is well with the Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year competition. I know some on here have had success with this competition in the past, and thought it might be of interest. The posts in question led me to this blog. Clearly, the author has a axe to grind and it’s only one side of the argument. However, if true, it makes for concerning reading...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
12 3.0k 129 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2018 10:16PM
rhody 16 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 12:02AM
Competition Rules are there to suit the Organizers only. I entered a Wildlife Competition which clearly stated the animals must be genuinely wild and not pets or zoo residents.
I spent a lot of time and money travelling the Countryside to get a truly wild image to meet the Competition Rules.
The winner built an enclosure in their back garden and put an animal rescued from the wild after being injured into the pen to get the "perfect" lighting and composition so highly valued by the Judges. The Organizers praised the image and openly stated how well the photographer had composed and captured the prize winning image. After the winning shot was taken, the subject was apparently released back into the wild.
My letter of complaint to the Organizers, pointing out that a recovering wild animal in a home built garden pen with carefully selected and composed logs, leaves and branches was not truly "wild" was never answered.
Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 8:43AM
Or in other news "Man who broke rules he disagrees with gets friend to complain for him".

sitan1 Plus
10 1.2k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 11:26AM

Quote:Or in other news "Man who broke rules he disagrees with gets friend to complain for him".

Hahahaha
seahawk 11 1.2k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 3:04PM
On balance the criticism of SLPOTY seems more convincing, strident though it is. I found the justification for disqualifying Nick very unconvincing - almost like the famous 'non-denial denial' described in 'All The Presidents Men'.
Don't think I'll be entering SLPOTY anytime in the near future!
23 Aug 2018 3:14PM
I have read that the SLPOTY rules (specifically relating to workshops) were changed after this chap won and that someone has found a cached page to prove it.

If that 's true that's really shoddy behaviour. I think this might rumble on
Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 3:28PM

Quote:I have read that the SLPOTY rules (specifically relating to workshops) were changed after this chap won and that someone has found a cached page to prove it.

If that 's true that's really shoddy behaviour. I think this might rumble on

You're absolutely right. I just looked at the page from July 2016 and there is no mention of workshops in the FAQ. Nor is there mention of having to collect the cash prize in person, or the section that forbids entrants to use the competition name or logo.

Compare this:

https://www.slpoty.co.uk/terms/

to this

https://web.archive.org/web/20160707040227/https://www.slpoty.co.uk/terms/
23 Aug 2018 3:36PM
SLPOTY facebook and twitter pages have been removed.

Looks like this has come back to bite them on the bum.
Toobi_Won 7 42 4 England
23 Aug 2018 4:26PM

Quote:Stuart Low. The man seems to be universally disliked on a scale I haven’t seen since operation Yewtree

Absolutely brilliant Smile
Deiqkier 8 29 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 7:06PM
So you pay this bloke for the privilege of entering his competition then he has full rights to exhibit and publish your images when you earn one of many commendations. And if you do "win" then have to chase them to collect at some random event.
It's not a new scam, playing on a photographer wanting to be noticed.
Colin
keithh 15 25.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Aug 2018 4:56AM

Quote:The public and media are requested not to refer to Mr Hanson as a winner of the Competition and where possible, to remove any reference to Mr Hanson as winner of the Competition from their websites, blogs etc.

I see that one of the competitions main sponsors mentions Mr Hanson as a previous winner in its blurb about this years competition.

I actually read SLPOY’s terms nd conditions and they were clearly written by someone with no clue about ....well anything.
cuffit Plus
12 332 5 England
25 Aug 2018 12:52PM
Not that my photos match those that would tilt at the SPLOTY prize, any competition with such complicated rules leaves me cold. I remember thinking of entering a photo in a national competition and having spent a few moments looking at the reams of rules decided I couldn't be bothered. I have entered and had a photo accepted for a national Photographic Federation which sees the photo among others shown around clubs in the area. I didn't have to sign over my rights and visit the committee in person. I don't see how being with a group of people means you cannot enter a photo you have taken; I have been in the company of Keithh (above) and know that if we even stood in the same spot with the same gear - he would take the better shot!
sut68 15 2.0k 76 England
12 Sep 2018 8:55PM
Having just done a quick web archive search I notice that as of Dec 14 2016 (after the 2015 & 2016 competitions had closed) there was no mention of workshops not being allowed in the FAQs - as the SLPOTY website states. Neither does it mention a rule 14.2 either???

Got bored checking other rules and clauses, but this does pong a bit on both sides!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.