Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Small Minded Race Steward - Mare and foal die

rhody 16 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2019 10:05PM

Quote:SMALL MINDED RACE STEWARD - MARE AND FOAL DIE???

If you scroll down a bit - it is in the article.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
14 May 2019 11:25AM
Just to prove I'm not the only 'old fart' about.

https://www.idler.co.uk/article/how-the-cyclists-ruined-richmond-park/
Cephus Plus
14 2.5k England
14 May 2019 11:36AM

Quote:

Whats the title of the topic???
rhody 16 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
14 May 2019 12:22PM

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps it's a case of the BBC burying bad news. It wouldn't be the first time.
I value life whether it be human or animal and the small minded race steward was newsworthy enough for the BBC to mention in the same article as the death of the cyclist after the race.
Personally, I think the actions of the small minded race steward deserve an article all on its own because there are a lot of unanswered questions about the death of the mare and her foal.
Cephus Plus
14 2.5k England
14 May 2019 4:37PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps it's a case of the BBC burying bad news. It wouldn't be the first time.
I value life whether it be human or animal and the small minded race steward was newsworthy enough for the BBC to mention in the same article as the death of the cyclist after the race.
Personally, I think the actions of the small minded race steward deserve an article all on its own because there are a lot of unanswered questions about the death of the mare and her foal.

I completely agree. Apart from the title you are the only one to mention the horse and foal in this thread.
AlexE 2 142 United Kingdom
17 May 2019 9:49PM

Quote:I've no doubt there are one or two.that give the majority of cyclists a bad name but on the whole cyclists are generally polite, considerate and friendly towards others.

I agree.

As a driver, I think that some cyclists are IDIOTS.
As a cyclist I think that some drivers are the same.
In fact, as a human I think that some humans are idiots.

I think that the actions of a few, are giving everyone a bad name.
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
18 May 2019 9:28AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience but one such encounter in 60 years of visiting the park hardly justifies your earlier statement that the park is impossible to walk in due to dangerous cyclists. You paint a very bleak, false and depressing picture of the place, as if maniac, dangerous cyclists are out in force to terrorise anyone who happens to be a non-cyclist. That couldn't be further from the truth. The park is a wonderful place and a safe haven for anyone and everyone that chooses to use it.

+1.
I cycle and drive a car.
I do not see a safety issue where cyclists cycle at modest speeds where they are entitled to cycle.
Unfortunately some pedestrians seem unable to grasp they need to take specific care of the infirm or young when there is a mix of traffic.
It is not uncommon to see pedestrians walking 4 or 5 abreast on B and occasionally A roads in the Yorkshire Dales where I live.
This raises the issue of whether the perception of an issue Richmond Park is because some adults do not take appropriate care where a mix of cycling and walking is permitted.
20 May 2019 7:55PM
The cyclists that I was finding so alarming were not on roads which are there for the general public to drive along but rather they are used by those who live in Richmond Park or are students at the Ballet School for going to and from - much as a drive would be in a stately home. This means that in the normal course of events there is no traffic on these roads and visitors have got very used to these being 85% safe to walk along. But even on the roads where there is general traffic, these are not I think classified roads, they are simply roads through the park and wide enough for two way traffic. So it is not people walking generally along 'a road', there are footpaths which are there for people to walk along, some of which the cyclists also use and which does endanger those less able or very young.
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
20 May 2019 8:58PM

Quote:The cyclists that I was finding so alarming were not on roads which are there for the general public to drive along but rather they are used by those who live in Richmond Park or are students at the Ballet School for going to and from - much as a drive would be in a stately home. This means that in the normal course of events there is no traffic on these roads and visitors have got very used to these being 85% safe to walk along.

With respect the park is generally open to pedestrians, cyclists and in a few areas motorists.

This is clearly explained on notices at all the park gates.

I am sorry for you - if you are so naive as to think you have a right to decide who else goes where - when you clearly do not - YOU are acting like a nuisance to other legitimate users of Richmond Park.

Quote:But even on the roads where there is general traffic, these are not I think classified roads, they are simply roads through the park and wide enough for two way traffic. So it is not people walking generally along 'a road', there are footpaths which are there for people to walk along, some of which the cyclists also use and which does endanger those less able or very young.

You are getting confused - or perhaps you are anti cyclist for the sake of it.

Pavements at the side of a road are normally (though not always) solely for the use of pedestrians.

"Paths" which are generally not surfaced and are often narrow can be classified as public footpaths, bridleways (which includes cyclists as well as horses), or even public roads.

Surfaced roads wide enough for two motor vehicle to pass are not normally just for pedestrians, whether inside or outside a Royal Park.

People other than pedestrians have a right to be there - and YOU have a duty to take appropriate care whenever there is a permitted mix of traffic.

Anybody too infirm to go other than on a pavement at the side of a road needs to take appropriate action, and parents of young children should have a duty to bring their children up to respect other road users and to take appropriate care.

Some parents sensibly recognise that fenced off play areas with swings etc are intended for exclusive use by young children, hopefully under the watchful eye of an appropriate adult. Are you so naive as not to appreciate these special places primarily for young children exist?
20 May 2019 10:31PM
Have you ever been in Richmond Park in Surrey? There are no pavements, there are paths which are unmade in terms of surface but sufficiently firm enough for people to walk along which is where people do walk. The paths are not by the side of the road but through the grass. Some of these paths are more than just a narrow track and cyclists ride along them. I am by no means anti-cyclist or anti-anything actually - except idiots! And when I say ride, I actually mean doing speed tests. They are actually training for cycle races. They are in training! The cyclists who use the park as a thoroughfare are fine - no problems at all - just normal folk going about their everyday things. The ones who cause the problems are training for 'Tour de ......' or the Olympics. So 'training children to have common sense when walking along a road' is not what I experienced as they were walking along a path, and I object to being told that I 'have a duty of care when walking along a road', when it is not open to the general public in vehicles but only to residents of the park - there is actually a Residents Only sign at the beginning of the road. I am deciding nothing - I have seen with my own eyes cyclists disobeying the speed limit and using access to roads and paths on which they are not permitted access.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
20 May 2019 10:57PM
Time to calm down perhaps with the comments becoming personal ?
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 May 2019 10:58PM
Cyclists in Richmond Park, though totally allowed to be there; are a pain the arse. On busy weekends, crossing the road at Broomhill is a case of taking a breath and risking it, especially for those unable to run across whilst being shouted and sworn at by Lycra clad chain gangs all trying to beat their best time around the 7 miles.
Driving a car at the regulation 20 mph, you are often overtaken by them, accompanied once again by some choice words.....then they find that I know more words than they do. 😉

And yes, the road to Sadlerís Wells should be bike freezone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.